Cracked Acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I was cleaning out my 2.5g bowfront tank, preparing for a possible shrimp tank, and while washing it out I noticed some cracks on the bottom. I saw them before when I cleaned it out but I didn't see any concern, but now I just wanted to check. There's two small ones on one side, and a slightly larger one on the other.

Do you think it would still be ok to use it? I don't really wanna get another tank, but maybe I could put some kind of sealant on it. I have something called Loctite Stik n Seal Original, but I doubt that would be safe, but I could probably go to Lowes and get the GE Silicone 1, closer than anywhere with a 2.5g lol. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

IMO with as cheap as 2.5g tanks are, why risk it? By the time you spend $5 or $6 on sealant, you've almost bought a new tank.

There really is not that much weight to mess with it IMO. If this was a big tank I would be concerned.

well its cheaper in gas. There are 2.5g about an hour away at $13 or so at Petsmart in Lexington. However, sealant is only about 15 min away, that's the main reason. Plus we don't go to Lexington very often. And I don't have enough room for anything much larger than a 2.5g.

Also I should probably mention they don't go all the way through but they seem to be on the inside.

So you think it should be ok? If I had a closer Petsmart or anything else with a 2.5g I would go for it. *sigh* The "stand" its on is a rubbermaid, so I could make a hole in the lid just as a precautionary, so the water doesn't get near the power strip.

It should be okay. I had a couple cracks in a 10 gallon of mine that i got rid of and it was still good and the fish were happy.

hmmm... I just don't know. I've used it for about 3 years now and I never really checked for cracks in the beginning but I'm sure it had them, and I know it had them 3 or 4 months ago. I just don't know... Well here's a pic (very bad at that) of the bottom:
img_1131119_0_d6f40a3b8077477a8b341d89c912d9ff.jpg

I don't think silicone bonds very well to acrylic. I read somewhere that that is why they use weld-on or similar products when making fish tanks.

For a tank that small you may as well forget it. Repairing the tank would cost more in time and money than buying a newer (and much larger) tank. Only 2.5 gallons is not suitable for any fish, except for one male betta. Toss the tank and buy a big one and set it up correctly - then enjoy!

Lol I was going to use it for shrimp not fish :p and I filled it last week for some new mts and it seems to be holding *knock on wood*. And the closest place for a tank this size is an hour away while lowes is 15 min away. Anyway I'm not going to use it much longer and I'll just have to get used to having only 4 tanks :| lol.

Crepe: would that stick to acrylic?

Back
Top Bottom