Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I replaced the short Paine on my 125 gallon. It was kind of a mess but its not that difficult. Bring the broken glass with you so they can match it and also take the measurements so they have it. I think mine only cost about 25 bucks plus the cost of aquarium safe silicone. It was well worth it. Oh and make sure you let it dry for 24-48 hours.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol I'm struggling not to be annoyed or upset but it is hard. I was so excited about this.

Anywho .... the bottom piece is boxed in by the four walls of the tank. How to I safely remove this? (Keep in mind short lol)

All of the glass shops around me are closed on Saturday. That stinks. Monday they will be open BUT I leave for my cruise on Monday. *whine whine whine* I will also ask them their suggestions on this situation.

I know I am neither the first nor the last to have a large cracked tank with a massive crack; but I'm so frustrated I cannot think straight.

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbanker View Post
Lol I'm struggling not to be annoyed or upset but it is hard. I was so excited about this.

Anywho .... the bottom piece is boxed in by the four walls of the tank. How to I safely remove this? (Keep in mind short lol)

All of the glass shops around me are closed on Saturday. That stinks. Monday they will be open BUT I leave for my cruise on Monday. *whine whine whine* I will also ask them their suggestions on this situation.

I know I am neither the first nor the last to have a large cracked tank with a massive crack; but I'm so frustrated I cannot think straight.
You should safely remove the existing silicon with a razor blade and pull the glass off the bottom I would think flip the tank upside down after your strip the inside of silicone and then support the rest of the sides when. You flip it over and remove the outside silicone and be careful pullin the bottom off as the other sides could fall have a helping hand if possible it is do able and not impossible I've done it

125G Reef Tank and Corals
29G Reef Tank and Corals
Reefpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

+1

Exactly how I would do it. Just try and got slow and don't force the glad out. It will crest pressure on the other panels and then you will have an even bigger prob. Good luck on the cruise!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Do you guys think since the old bottom is boxed in, the new piece should (with the tank upside down) sit on top? Meaning a larger piece would be needed? So when upright all sides sit on top of the bottom rather than boxing it in?
Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

^^^ YES!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Did you say X-BF?!?
Seriously, I was just kidding !!!

#1 It was free
#2 You can find a new free tank, with every one downsizing, there will be another great find out there...
#3 You are going on a cruise in a couple days

#4 Value people above stuff, even fish stuff

#5 That sounded like a heavy tank, maybe it woulda failed since moving it loosens the seals, and, he just saved you 125 gallons of water on the floor....well maybe

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.bestfish.com/tips/082798.html
Some info for repairing your tank.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpete View Post

You should safely remove the existing silicon with a razor blade and pull the glass off the bottom I would think flip the tank upside down after your strip the inside of silicone and then support the rest of the sides when. You flip it over and remove the outside silicone and be careful pullin the bottom off as the other sides could fall have a helping hand if possible it is do able and not impossible I've done it
With the bottom being boxed in can I razor blade inside to remove the silicone there or just remove inside and out side ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
+1

Exactly how I would do it. Just try and got slow and don't force the glad out. It will crest pressure on the other panels and then you will have an even bigger prob. Good luck on the cruise!
Thank you!! It is my first one ever! I'm excited about yummy food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbug68 View Post
Do you guys think since the old bottom is boxed in, the new piece should (with the tank upside down) sit on top? Meaning a larger piece would be needed? So when upright all sides sit on top of the bottom rather than boxing it in?
Not sure why the tank wasn't built like that to begin with. I'm certainly willing to put the sides on top of the bottom. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

Seriously, I was just kidding !!!

#1 It was free
#2 You can find a new free tank, with every one downsizing, there will be another great find out there...
#3 You are going on a cruise in a couple days

#4 Value people above stuff, even fish stuff

#5 That sounded like a heavy tank, maybe it woulda failed since moving it loosens the seals, and, he just saved you 125 gallons of water on the floor....well maybe
Of course you were just kidding. I'm no saint though.. I firmly believe I have every right to be upset. It hasn't even been twenty four hours yet. Lol if I leave someone I've been with for over four years over a free fish tank I would need some serious help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlavassor86 View Post
http://www.bestfish.com/tips/082798.html
Some info for repairing your tank.
Awesome thanks doll. I've been reading a few articles here and there... some seem to suggest that the sealant available at home depot etc will not be strong enough for this amount of pressure. Thoughts?

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

That does look super easy. Guitar string and a hobby knife! Once I speak to the glass shop we should be good to go

Tags
crack, glass, glass tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com