Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbanker

With the bottom being boxed in can I razor blade inside to remove the silicone there or just remove inside and out side ?

Thank you!! It is my first one ever! I'm excited about yummy food!

Not sure why the tank wasn't built like that to begin with. I'm certainly willing to put the sides on top of the bottom. Lol

Of course you were just kidding. I'm no saint though.. I firmly believe I have every right to be upset. It hasn't even been twenty four hours yet. Lol if I leave someone I've been with for over four years over a free fish tank I would need some serious help.

Awesome thanks doll. I've been reading a few articles here and there... some seem to suggest that the sealant available at home depot etc will not be strong enough for this amount of pressure. Thoughts?
Use GE 100% silicon 1. It's aquarium safe. I used it when my 125 had the seams blow out of one of my corners. Haven't had any issues.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to know.

Called one glass shop Monday before we left. It will be 240 to replace the glass the sheet of glass.

Talked to my bf about it. We are thinking just get me a new tank. Will call other places Monday.

Lastly. We went snorkeling and diving! All I can say is how amazing!!! So many fish. It helps you realize you CANNOT keep many fish without impacting a bazillion things... their quality of life being one. A six foot tank is NOTHING compared to a real reef.

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

I can't help but add that I think a new tank is the prudent choice. My tank was 55 gallons and when it exploded, in addition to the loss of fish life (many went down the heating duct into the furnace!) I had an indescribable mess. The tank was replaced for free by my horrified LFS who apologized profusely. But the bill from the fire/water restoration people? Ouch. They did save my rug though. The bill from the gas fireplace people who had to fix it? Ouch.

Better safe than sorry! Take it from someone who had about half the flood you would have if, heaven forbid, a 125 failed.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbug68

I thought of that too, but still seems too risky... It's up to you if you wanna try that and let it water test outside for a few weeks. I still say its best to do it right the first time.

A few weeks ago there was a thread about a broken center brace on a 55. I said to order a whole new trim piece and replace it(only 15$ plus shipping) Someone else suggested a DIY fix with a metal brace. Well his tank cracked a few days later. Now a perfectly good tank was wasted.

There's still 4 good sides to your tank. Fix it right, the first time, or call it a loss. It really won't be that hard. If you want some help on the process, just ask.
Her* tank cracked a few days later, it was me. I'm never diying anything that holds 450+ lbs of water again. Especially since my husband is no help with water clean up...
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

I vote buy new tank, and list that one on Craigslist free for pick up to someone who has worked with glass repair or who can use it for dry critters, free juju is good
Old 12-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbanker View Post
Lastly. We went snorkeling and diving! All I can say is how amazing!!! So many fish. It helps you realize you CANNOT keep many fish without impacting a bazillion things... their quality of life being one. A six foot tank is NOTHING compared to a real reef.
Where did you dive?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardeelion View Post

Where did you dive?
Freeport and Nassua. Really enjoyed it. My bf was terrified!

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's great! Diving is just about the best hobby/sport in the world. Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakwood View Post

Her* tank cracked a few days later, it was me. I'm never diying anything that holds 450+ lbs of water again. Especially since my husband is no help with water clean up...
Hahaha, just saw this! Good to here from you again!
Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the input guys! Called another glass shop and they quoted $150. I can deal with that. . .

A part of me thinks new tank and the other part says just take a couple of months and rebuild. I'm so torn!

Tags
crack, glass, glass tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com