cracked glass tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you say X-BF?!? :(

Wow is that ever the worst!

Which piece is that? the bottom? I have a friend at work who has put new glass into the bottom and caulked in in really well, atm don't know what size the tank was though. I can check if you don't get a better answer here. I am thinking Vivarium after a repair maybe. There are some pretty amazing set-ups.

Is that the bottom of the tank ? And I've seen people silicone the cracks good and not have any problems but that looks like a serious crack ...you may have to get a new piece of glass get that one off and silicone in a new one....

Yup it is the bottom of the tank. My grandfather seems to think it can be fixed... the tank was free. I'm beyond frustrated! This was a great birthday gift to me!!! Here is another pic

ForumRunner_20121201_140927.jpg

Yup it is the bottom of the tank. My grandfather seems to think it can be fixed... the tank was free. I'm beyond frustrated! This was a great birthday gift to me!!! Here is another pic

You can chance it and silicone it let it sit for a week and test it but it may be worth it to just get a piece of glass and replace that bottom that's the route I'd go but that stinks I feel you on that

I might have to try that... the glass is a tad over a half inch thick. I think the crack is about half way through

well, speaking from a mans perspective, (stuff happens)But, again from a mans perspective being guilted into buying a brand new top of the line tank with a few accessories thrown in as further apology for the inconvenience and heartbreak of this tragic accident would also fall under the (stuff happens) category.
Just remember when guilting a man on an expensive scale start twisting the knife of guilt slowly, like how your hopes and plans for this tank were just shattered along with that glass panel or how your heart broke with that glass,
we are simple beasts and we really do want to do the right thing, you just have to make it quietly known that doing the right thing will be greatly appreciated and not doing the right thing will only result in long, drawn out and excruciating suffering, and that should be enough to put a sweet new tank in the house

You can chance it and silicone it let it sit for a week and test it but it may be worth it to just get a piece of glass and replace that bottom that's the route I'd go but that stinks I feel you on that

It's a 150 gallons... No way should it be chanced like that. Way too much weight and pressure! Plus 150 gallons of water potentially on the floor of your home? No thank you. New glass and silicon won't be too much, especially since the tank was free anyway. A days work and piece of mind is the way to go. IMO.

glass

It's not expensive to buy glass and get it cut just make sure you seal it perfect and use aquarium silicone

If you do replace the glass when you buy the glass take a tape measure with you. Double check the dimensions before buying the glass. It will save you from running back to the glass shop.

IMO I would replace the tank for peace of mind.

Ouch! It looks bad. Price glass of the same thickness and see if its worth the time and effort to repair. Your best bet, just want to find another on Craigslist. Have your boyfriend pay for it and never let him carry another one. :whistle:

well, speaking from a mans perspective, (stuff happens)But, again from a mans perspective being guilted into buying a brand new top of the line tank with a few accessories thrown in as further apology for the inconvenience and heartbreak of this tragic accident would also fall under the (stuff happens) category.
Just remember when guilting a man on an expensive scale start twisting the knife of guilt slowly, like how your hopes and plans for this tank were just shattered along with that glass panel or how your heart broke with that glass,
we are simple beasts and we really do want to do the right thing, you just have to make it quietly known that doing the right thing will be greatly appreciated and not doing the right thing will only result in long, drawn out and excruciating suffering, and that should be enough to put a sweet new tank in the house
I have a beautiful betta, a 20 high full of glofish, all because 2 of my panda cories passed away. I felt SOO terrible! my hubby got me all that.

Please do not attempt to repair this tank with silicon, unfortunately it is done, and attempting this type of repair will only increase the issues. It can be repaired by replacing the glass, but that all depends on if you want to go to the trouble and the expense. Some glass shops will do the work of taking the tank apart, replacing the glass and resealing the tank for you, although it can be expensive. If you are good at DIY, you can do it as well.

I agree that stuff happens but this
It's a 150 gallons... No way should it be chanced like that. Way too much weight and pressure! Plus 150 gallons of water potentially on the floor of your home? No thank you. New glass and silicon won't be too much, especially since the tank was free anyway. A days work and piece of mind is the way to go. IMO.

If you do replace the glass when you buy the glass take a tape measure with you. Double check the dimensions before buying the glass. It will save you from running back to the glass shop.

IMO I would replace the tank for peace of mind.

I agree that stuff happens but this is heartbreaking! We are getting ready to go on a cruise and I was hoping to at least get it on the stand.

I believe we will replacing the glass. So very annoyed

I agree that stuff happens but this is heartbreaking! We are getting ready to go on a cruise and I was hoping to at least get it on the stand.

I believe we will replacing the glass. So very annoyed
Oh man, I bet he got an earful... :) I know it sucks, but it's best to just take your time and do it all right. Nothing good happens over night.

Yeah the glass would have to be replaced for sure. You talking about a tank that will weigh over 1200lbs when filled. There is no siliconing the cracks and it holding.....not going to happen.

I'm actually not even talking to him right now. I'm so upset.

My grandfather was asking if we could "glue" a piece of glass outside and on the inside, effectively sandwiching the broken piece in the middle

I'm actually not even talking to him right now. I'm so upset.

My grandfather was asking if we could "glue" a piece of glass outside and on the inside, effectively sandwiching the broken piece in the middle

I thought of that too, but still seems too risky... It's up to you if you wanna try that and let it water test outside for a few weeks. I still say its best to do it right the first time.

A few weeks ago there was a thread about a broken center brace on a 55. I said to order a whole new trim piece and replace it(only 15$ plus shipping) Someone else suggested a DIY fix with a metal brace. Well his tank cracked a few days later. Now a perfectly good tank was wasted.

There's still 4 good sides to your tank. Fix it right, the first time, or call it a loss. It really won't be that hard. If you want some help on the process, just ask.

Back
Top Bottom