Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
cracked sump help!

I did something stupid, I lifted up my external pump to put something under it so dampen some of the noise without disconnecting it and I now have a crack from the bulkhead up to the top of the sump. I got the water out before a huge mess was made but now want to know if I can fix it with aquarium safe silicone?
It's a single crack, nearly straight. a 29 gallon aquarium. The bulkhead is installed on the side near the bottom so the crack is a good 12-14" long. Being a sump I don't care what it looks like. Didn't know if this is an easy fix or am I better off getting a new sump?

smnw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Is the water in that chamber of the sump all the way up to the top? If so i might consider getting a new sump because the silicone won't be as sound as the glass was. You don't want it to bow out over time or something. If the water level isn't that high then i would just dry it off and put a healthy amount of silicone over it.

pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
with all pumps off the sump is about 80% full of water, at running level it's more like 60% full. I'll go with silicone and see how it reacts. I've read to let it set for 48 hours before adding water, is that true or can I give it 12-24 hours instead so I can get the sump running again?

smnw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I would give 48 minimum.
My Fish Videos | My Fish Photos
Tim Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you can remove the sump and get a new piece of glass from a glass shop and just replace that cracked pane. it's not that hard. a blade and a little silicone is all you will need. i would not trust a 14" cracked tank.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

crack, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com