Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cracked tank

I got a 20 gallon tank that got cracked and I was wondering if I cut a piece of glass and siliconed it to the cracked piece would it hold up ok? Thanks

Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have seen people that have done that but for a twenty gallon tank why not just be on the safe side and buy a new one. IMO it`s not worth the risk.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I have seen people that have done that but for a twenty gallon tank why not just be on the safe side and buy a new one. IMO it`s not worth the risk.
Just going to use it as a breeder tank for feeder guppies and don't have the money to spare right now May even just put it in the basement
Old 09-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it was a tiny crack (maybe 1/2" or so) and was near the upper part of the tank, that might work. If the crack is substantial, and/or if it is in the lower part of the tank where the pressure will be much greater, then there's no way I would trust that.

It might work...but it would be a risk. And as far as cost, my guess is that you could get a brand new aquarium (certainly on sale) for about the same price it would cost to buy the silicone and a custom-cut piece of glass to cover your crack. So you say money is tight, but I don't think you are saving any money by trying to repair that tank. A lot of pet stores will run sales ($1 per gallon type things), so you could get a new tank for $20 or so. By comparison, a tube of aquarium silicone will run you $5-8 and then when you add in the cost of buying the glass...how much are you really saving? And is that worth the risk of 20 gallons of fish-poop-laden water pouring onto your floor?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Where is the crack?? It is safer to patch something near the top vs the bottom.

For a small tank, it is generally just as easy to replace the entire pane. To do a proper patch, you would need to cut a piece that goes from one edge to the other, and at lest 6-8" pass both sides of the crack. By the time you add all that up, your patch is just about as big as the pane, you may as well be safe & replace the whole pane!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Crack is from the bottom to the top so I think I'll just get another one. I was going to cut apeice as big as the inside measurement of the tank and just put the pane of glass over the cracked pane beings that I've got the glass and silicone. Guess I'll just use it for a reptile tank Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Craigslist FTW on cheap tanks.
bengoshi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

I personally don't trust ANY used tank anymore. After running a LFS I have simply heard way too many horror stories. A ten gallon can cause over a thousand dollars in damage, it is simply not worth the risk.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
I personally don't trust ANY used tank anymore. After running a LFS I have simply heard way too many horror stories. A ten gallon can cause over a thousand dollars in damage, it is simply not worth the risk.
i have 40 or so used tanks up never had a problem. also know a ton of people with used tanks again no problem. yes i wouldnt put it in the house where it can flood at first but fill it up out side make sure its fine before setting it up.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #10

Don't get me wrong, there are thousands of tanks out there that have never been an issue, but none of them are until they are. Used tanks are a thrifty alternative to new ones. But for me personally I feel it is too risky to warrant not just buying a new tank. (I have had great success with almost all of my used tanks.)

Customer #1: bought 200 gallon on craigslist, had it setup for a long time, one night glass center brace fell out, next day entire front sheet of glass comes off, kids come upstairs covered in glass and water.

Cousin: bought my 100 gallon tank that I had setup for a long time, we moved it to his house, he set it up, three days later corner seal fails and nice wall of water flows out and leaves 90 gallons of water on floor.

Me: ten gallon randomly fails seal and drains entire content onto floor. Water ran through floor, downstairs, through that floor, into basement. $600 in damages.

Me: 55 leaked 1/3, same multi-floor damage, $800 repairs.

I know that for most people it will never be an issue, especially with a seal and leak check, but personally it is not worth it.

Tags
crack, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com