Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Craigslist find?

I have just recently been considering setting up a saltwater tank and have started doing some research. I was checking out Craigslist to see if I saw any really good deals. I came across this listing:

Bow front Saltwater Aquarium and loads of accessories. I bought this earlier in the year with the intentions of building into a wall in my basement. I couldn't find time to even get started let alone keep a saltwater aquarium up to snuff so I am selling it on craigslist. I paid $350 so at $300 I am taking a loss but I want to get it out of my basement soon!

Aquarium measures 36" wide X 12.5" long X 21" Tall.

I think this is 50 gallons and the sump is 25 gallons. I have been told the sump alone is worth $200.

There is a protein skimmer and two power heads as well as loads of accessories. I am not willing to separate anything here so its $250 for the whole thing.

I emailed him and the center width at the bow is 16 3/8". Also, he said he thinks that the tank is glass. I'm pretty sure it's more than 50 gallons.

Being a newb I don't really know if it's really a good deal or not. The size of the tank seems about right for me, and I wanted a glass tank too which is good.

On the other hand I don't know what kind of skimmer that is, can't find any info on it, and looks to me like there may be some parts missing. The sump seems odd to me. It doesn't match any designs I have seen and I can't figure out the logic behind it's setup. I would likely either try to remove the sections if possible and reconfigure it, or just buy a 20 gal. glass tank cheap and buy some glass pieces and make my own. The, what I assume is a heater, looks used which is a no no from my research. The other accessories could possibly come in handy at some point but it's too soon to tell for sure.

So the bottom line is, if I exclude all of the other items, is it still worth the money and the long drive I would have to make for just the tank or should I just wait for something else to come along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	282901   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	282902  

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	282903  

Old 01-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Here is a chart for the size of the tank
26 Bowfront — 24 x 15 x 21
28 Bowfront — 24 x 16 x 18
36 Bowfront — 30 x 15 x 21
46 Bowfront — 36 x 15 x 20
72 Bowfront — 48 x 18 x 22
90 Bowfront — 48 x 18 x 29
155 Bowfront — 72 x 24 x 24
175 Bowfront — 72 x 24 x 29

It seems like a lot of stuff but as you say you aren't sure of brands and if all the pieces are there (you can make some things work sometimes) otherwise you have a useless item, where buying a part can be more than buying a used item.

Sometimes lfs's will have a bone yard where they have bits and pieces of things in the back.

Does it leak?

I am a bargainer so I would offer him much less. Just to buy a used 46G you can expect to pay 100-125 more if there is a stand, a little less if it isn't all black trim /this is the oak color.

(Btw, as a side note, there is the dollar per gallon sale going on at petco.) You would need to get or build a stand. For that full price I would get a tank and stand combo somewhere else, but I am not handy to build my own nice looking stand. I think it really depends on the quality of the extra equipment, which I don't know about.

Good luck on thinking through the decision. Maybe you will get some good input if the extra equipment is recognized.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

re:

Thanks for the info. After some thought I think I am going to put together my own aquarium when I get to that point so I can make the size exactly to fit my needs and save some money.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sometimes saving money comes from not wasting it by buying the wrong things. Good research and checking of peoples experiences and from understanding what you will need. You can save money by getting exactly what you want at the beginning even if that means buying used or waiting to save enough.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 01-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Sometimes saving money comes from not wasting it by buying the wrong things. Good research and checking of peoples experiences and from understanding what you will need. You can save money by getting exactly what you want at the beginning even if that means buying used or waiting to save enough.
I can second that, so I bought a brand new one after looking at used ones..
Old 01-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To add to buying on Craigslist:

If the price seems to good to be true, the tank probably leaks....
Old 01-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Petco dollar per gallon is going on now , for what a new tank costs there it's pretty much a no brain er over a used one.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well if you do a build thread, add the link to it here so we can follow along.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 12-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Woohoo this looks like a deal?

Name:	IMG_1481233854.136444.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	291757

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/5908432800.html
Old 12-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Craigslist find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post

That is beyond a deal if it the ad is for real and it doesn't leak.

It seems there is a listing error and it it should be $300.00 not $30.00

It's hard to tell what type of filter it has, that size tank would do best with a sump especially for salt.

I don't have any experience with Jebo lights, but I don't see them mentioned as strong saltwater lights.

I also don't see a skimmer...

I'd always purchase a new heater with a used set up - it just isn't worth the risk....

It's a nice size tank and it's acrylic, but I think you will need a number of additional expensive items to make this efficient with salt.

The way it sits, this tank is best suited for freshwater.

Tags
fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com