Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Crazy stupid or crazy brilliant? Need a new water change procedure

It was so easy with a little tank -- just a few gallon jugs to move. Now, I have a 65 on the second floor. I looked at Python water changers but it's a freshwater tank so it's valuable organic fertilizer for my garden! I don't want to throw it away. But how to get 15-20 gallons from the tank to the garden?

So, I was pondering. If I just get a bigger siphon tube, couldn't I connect it to a long length of tubing from the hardware store? I'd toss it out the window as needed and then go put the end in a 20+ gallon bin in the garden. Easy enough to scoop water to plants from there. The only question then is how to start the siphon if the other end is so far away? And, is there a connector or a series of connectors that could be installed on that same tubing to get water from the faucet in the bathroom to the tank once I'm done siphoning and have pulled the tubing back inside? That way I'd only need to buy and store one long hose, not two.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is a pump that goes on a power drill, also I've heard there is a good syphon system at bass pro shops for boats

Old 01-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use my water hose and the water changer through a window or where we live now, the back door. I live in florida so water temperature isn't an issue. Its good for my grass!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
There is a pump that goes on a power drill, also I've heard there is a good syphon system at bass pro shops for boats
I may have to buy my husband one of those drill pumps for transferring beer so he doesn't have to lift the carboy to the counter! That's awesome.

I think I can get the suction going with a simple valve, though. If I have an inline ball valve open while I submerge a couple feet of tubing and then close it, pull the filled tubing out, and open the valve, it ought to flow. Kind of like kinking the tubing but without the potential to damage it. And if I needed, I could also slow the flow with that valve.

Then it's just a matter of finding the combo of fittings for sink to tubing...
Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha I'm sure he'd appreciate that! If it's going out the window gravity should help quite a bit, when I do wc's I out a 5 gal bucket on a stand about 6" above the top of the tank and it basically flys through my 3/4 tube into the tank, very little suction needed to start it, luckily I like the taste of prime
Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's how I did it. Gravity fed and about 50ft of hose. The bigger the hose the faster it will drained as well all know. I have a 1inch hose if I need to do a fast PWC.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #7

Given that there isn't really all that much nitrate in used tank water, why don't you just make your life easier and get a python? It really is the easiest way to change water. I wouldn't dream of having a medium to large aquarium without one.

The used tank water is good for plants, but not as good as a proper concentrated nitrate rich plant food, that would have other things like phosphorus and potassium in it too.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rich plant food?.....Aquaponic?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
Rich plant food?.....Aquaponic?
Did the OP say they were doing hydroponics? I didn't read it thoroughly...
Old 01-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
The used tank water is good for plants, but not as good as a proper concentrated nitrate rich plant food, that would have other things like phosphorus and potassium in it too.

Just wondering how aquaponic works from what you wrote above that's all.

Tags
ate, change, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com