Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seriously it works I actually bought an extra hose for it and dedicated the new hose to only skimming the protein layer off my cichlid tank right before my water changes and it works great.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow! That's awesome actually. Thanks for expanding my mind! I'm going to look into doing that.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

If u get that mini one it fills up quick I keep it just far enough away so it barley slurps the top. And you thought that was a joke... LoL
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You are truly insane! Way to go! Who woulda thunk it? Too bad you posted your idea B4 applying for patent. Perhaps the addition of a battery, pump, or siphon powered gravel vacuum with filter bag at the trimmer would help with trimmings? Those are basically small shop vacs anyway.
Use a fine mesh net to skim the trimmings from the surface, move it in figure 8 pattern it pulls trimmings toward intersection of 8, like collecting daphnia from a pond. Or attach a U shape tube on a gravel vac and suck the trimmings from just below surface. Or similar U tube on inlet of hanging filter.

Hmmmm, wonder if I can apply for patent online? I'm gonna be rich. RICH! I tell ya!

After posting I saw that MMantelli done solved the trimming problem. That'll teach me to look for page two B4 posting. I'd best keep my day job. Looks like I'm still not gonna be rich.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I seen the shop vac trick in one of the green machines videos I think it was but yeah it works.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMantelli View Post
If u get that mini one it fills up quick
Yes, indeed. I got one and it fills up in a few seconds. I'm going to have to get used to holding it right so I can control it but I do appreciate the advice so I can eventually work it into my maintenance .
Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya no problem man it took me awhile to get it figured out too it seems to help if its at a pretty good angle and about 1/2" from the surface ill use my net to get what I fan with the filter off then try to get it all bunched into a few clumps then slurp it up.

Tags
eat, electric, plant, plants, rim, submersible, trim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com