create a submersible electric trimmer for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know if this is possible to create? In my mind I want to stick a beard trimmer on a pole and stick it down in my tank to trim hairgrass, etc. I know a lot of the trimmers available aren't able to be submersed without breaking sooooo I was just curious if anyone knows of a commercial tool like this or what I could use to rig one up myself. My tank is 36" deep and if I had a way to trim plants without having to use a scissor motion with my hands it would be AWESOME as it's really hard to move my hands flexibly in my conditions. Any ideas? Thanks.

I just ordered this Panasonic ER224S beard trimmer which advertises it can be used in the shower. I'll post the outcome of if that applies to underwater clipping hairgrass :) Welcome to any other ideas too...

Does anyone know if this is possible to create? In my mind I want to stick a beard trimmer on a pole and stick it down in my tank to trim hairgrass, etc. I know a lot of the trimmers available aren't able to be submersed without breaking sooooo I was just curious if anyone knows of a commercial tool like this or what I could use to rig one up myself. My tank is 36" deep and if I had a way to trim plants without having to use a scissor motion with my hands it would be AWESOME as it's really hard to move my hands flexibly in my conditions. Any ideas? Thanks.

Why don't you just get some long ADA curved tip scissors? I think it's ADA, it had been awhile. It's a large/kind of expensive aquascaping company.

I do have some curved tip scissors (really long ones in fact) but I really need more than a 45 degree curve to maneauver what I'm dealing with. I need a 90 degree turn or something like what I propose. My workspace is virtually a straight down shot. I have two openings at the top of this tank that are about 10 inch by 10 inch and go straight down for 3 feet of water. I can't really hold scissors at any functioning angle besides straight up and down and a slight angle. The tank is narrow, the exact dimensions are 36x36x18 with a very constrictive top that has glass covering a large amount I'm assuming to reinforce the height of the tank. Needless to say, angled scissors at a depth like this when I'm banging up against a wall at the top of the tank doesn't get you far. When I planted the tank I had to drain it and hang my body into the tank from my waist down. Now that there's water in it you can't get your arm in at a nice angle unless you buy scuba gear...Now that it's growing it really is going to just be natural as most human touch is NOT simple.

Tank Pic. You cant see but the opening under the hood is SMALL to add to the complexity of the height.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 123
Here are the openings. These openings are 10" by 10" at best. The one on the left even smaller because the overflow is in the way.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 114
Surprise! It worked

Haha. I'm a little surprised to see this worked but it did. That trimmer kept trimming away fully submerged for the entire time I needed. I'll let it dry and do another charge next time I need to have a go at it :) It also groomed the hairgrass exactly like I wanted. :) haha.

Trimmer is Panasonic ER224S Cordless Hair and Beard and that sucker trims hairgrass like it's a beautiful beard completely submerged in a tank! Now I just need to find an easy way to gather clippings from the surface of the tank!

Amazon.com: Panasonic ER224S All-in-One Cordless Hair and Beard Trimmer (Silver): Health & Personal Care

Attachments

• clipping.JPG
    clipping.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 162
DUDE! Mad props to you for even trying that! I bow to you -o- Macguyver of the aquatic world! That is AWESOME!

Seriously it works I actually bought an extra hose for it and dedicated the new hose to only skimming the protein layer off my cichlid tank right before my water changes and it works great.

If u get that mini one it fills up quick I keep it just far enough away so it barley slurps the top. And you thought that was a joke... LoL

You are truly insane! Way to go! Who woulda thunk it? Too bad you posted your idea B4 applying for patent. Perhaps the addition of a battery, pump, or siphon powered gravel vacuum with filter bag at the trimmer would help with trimmings? Those are basically small shop vacs anyway.
Use a fine mesh net to skim the trimmings from the surface, move it in figure 8 pattern it pulls trimmings toward intersection of 8, like collecting daphnia from a pond. Or attach a U shape tube on a gravel vac and suck the trimmings from just below surface. Or similar U tube on inlet of hanging filter.

Hmmmm, wonder if I can apply for patent online? I'm gonna be rich. RICH! I tell ya!

After posting I saw that MMantelli done solved the trimming problem. That'll teach me to look for page two B4 posting. I'd best keep my day job. Looks like I'm still not gonna be rich.

If u get that mini one it fills up quick

Yes, indeed. I got one and it fills up in a few seconds. I'm going to have to get used to holding it right so I can control it but I do appreciate the advice so I can eventually work it into my maintenance .

Ya no problem man it took me awhile to get it figured out too it seems to help if its at a pretty good angle and about 1/2" from the surface ill use my net to get what I fan with the filter off then try to get it all bunched into a few clumps then slurp it up.

Back
Top Bottom