Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

create a submersible electric trimmer for plants

Does anyone know if this is possible to create? In my mind I want to stick a beard trimmer on a pole and stick it down in my tank to trim hairgrass, etc. I know a lot of the trimmers available aren't able to be submersed without breaking sooooo I was just curious if anyone knows of a commercial tool like this or what I could use to rig one up myself. My tank is 36" deep and if I had a way to trim plants without having to use a scissor motion with my hands it would be AWESOME as it's really hard to move my hands flexibly in my conditions. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just ordered this Panasonic ER224S beard trimmer which advertises it can be used in the shower. I'll post the outcome of if that applies to underwater clipping hairgrass Welcome to any other ideas too...

Old 04-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBlasto View Post
Does anyone know if this is possible to create? In my mind I want to stick a beard trimmer on a pole and stick it down in my tank to trim hairgrass, etc. I know a lot of the trimmers available aren't able to be submersed without breaking sooooo I was just curious if anyone knows of a commercial tool like this or what I could use to rig one up myself. My tank is 36" deep and if I had a way to trim plants without having to use a scissor motion with my hands it would be AWESOME as it's really hard to move my hands flexibly in my conditions. Any ideas? Thanks.
Why don't you just get some long ADA curved tip scissors? I think it's ADA, it had been awhile. It's a large/kind of expensive aquascaping company.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do have some curved tip scissors (really long ones in fact) but I really need more than a 45 degree curve to maneauver what I'm dealing with. I need a 90 degree turn or something like what I propose. My workspace is virtually a straight down shot. I have two openings at the top of this tank that are about 10 inch by 10 inch and go straight down for 3 feet of water. I can't really hold scissors at any functioning angle besides straight up and down and a slight angle. The tank is narrow, the exact dimensions are 36x36x18 with a very constrictive top that has glass covering a large amount I'm assuming to reinforce the height of the tank. Needless to say, angled scissors at a depth like this when I'm banging up against a wall at the top of the tank doesn't get you far. When I planted the tank I had to drain it and hang my body into the tank from my waist down. Now that there's water in it you can't get your arm in at a nice angle unless you buy scuba gear...Now that it's growing it really is going to just be natural as most human touch is NOT simple.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank Pic. You cant see but the opening under the hood is SMALL to add to the complexity of the height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	168502  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here are the openings. These openings are 10" by 10" at best. The one on the left even smaller because the overflow is in the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	168505  
Old 04-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Surprise! It worked

Haha. I'm a little surprised to see this worked but it did. That trimmer kept trimming away fully submerged for the entire time I needed. I'll let it dry and do another charge next time I need to have a go at it It also groomed the hairgrass exactly like I wanted. haha.

Trimmer is Panasonic ER224S Cordless Hair and Beard and that sucker trims hairgrass like it's a beautiful beard completely submerged in a tank! Now I just need to find an easy way to gather clippings from the surface of the tank!

Amazon.com: Panasonic ER224S All-in-One Cordless Hair and Beard Trimmer (Silver): Health & Personal Care
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clipping.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	170647  
Old 04-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

DUDE! Mad props to you for even trying that! I bow to you -o- Macguyver of the aquatic world! That is AWESOME!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

A shop vac mini.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130430_184954.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	170842
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

hahahahaaha

Tags
eat, electric, plant, plants, rim, submersible, trim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com