Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Custom Spraybar

Hey all,

I made a custom spray bar last night with black pvc and I'm curious if anyone else has done this how long it takes for the cement smell to go away? It's been 12 hours now and it's still fairly strong. I'm going to run water through it for an hour or two tonight when I get home which I'm sure will help, but was curious of others experiences with this.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im sure your already using the spraybar by now but my recomendation would have been to look up the cure time of the specific glue you used then wait longer then that before running water through it or adding to the tank. Persnoally I would have only glued any fittings that would sit outside the tank and just pressed the others together, they fit fairly tight and I havent had them come appart yet doing this and by gluing the ones outside the tank if it came apart in the tank it shouldnt hurt anything untill you fix it. Not gluing parts that sit in the tank also gives you more adjustment options and makes it easier if you decide to change something up.
Just my opinions. Hope your spraybar has been working well.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the reply. I did wait for 3 days actually so I'm good on that. Also only glued the parts outside as you mentioned so I can adjust angles if need be. Angled it good on the first try so I am all good. Runs great!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Just speaking from experience, just keep an eye on that thing if it gets real hot or you go on vacation. Had one that emptied an entire tank once while I was on vacation because the water level dropped too far and the water was being bounced out of the tank.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll keep that in mind. I'll be away for two weeks in February for my wedding and honeymoon. I have someone watching the tank but I'll have them specifically watch for leaks.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

He's not talking about leaks, he's saying if your water level isn't constant in your tank due to evaporation, one of the holes can end up above the water surface and squirt all your water out the tank. Not a problem if you keep your water constant by topping it off or if you have an ATO unit.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ah, yeah I do weekly changes and top offs as needed. I really don't have a lot of evap, I have a glass hood that keeps it in for the most part.

Tags
custom, ray

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com