Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

In the real world you should be removing the material to either clean it or replace before either side gets clogged. Therefore it doesn't really matter.

That aside, have you asked the store owner?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use Marineland Rite-Size Bonded Filter Pad.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe the blue is stiffer and threfore coarser. However I use the polyester fiberfill that is a heckuva lot cheaper. if you want a solid pad, I believe you would be looking for batting. I have used green pot scrubbies for the coarse filter as well.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with you on both cabezon. I don't know why more people don't use polyfiber (or whatever you want to call it). The same $4-5 bag has last me ~3+ years.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezon View Post
I believe the blue is stiffer and threfore coarser. However I use the polyester fiberfill that is a heckuva lot cheaper. if you want a solid pad, I believe you would be looking for batting. I have used green pot scrubbies for the coarse filter as well.
pot scrubbies? as in these....?

interesting....

as far as the more course side... ide have to vote blue.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is ironic...

I have been looking for a simple picture of pot scrubbies, because I am currently in the process of buying vast amounts as biological filtration for my ponds, and turtle habitat. I have been going from dollar store, to dollar store, as I need them CHEAP. The employees at these stores have different definitions of "pot scrubbie", so a picture would just cut thru the confusion. Tonight, I checked back on this thread...and found the perfect picture of pot scrubbies! Thanks!

I do use the loose polyester "pillow stuffing" in mesh bags in some of my filters. I have not tried the batting yet, but I will as soon as I use the last of this blue/white stuff. At least the batting is all one color...no more confusion!

Yes, I asked the owner of my favorite LFS. He said the blue was more coarse, but his manager jumped in and said it was the white. I am using this stuff in my pond filter, which is hard to get to. So using it the "right" way is fairly important. If it clogs sooner than it should, that would be bad. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and get used to checking on it more often.

Any additional votes would be welcome!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the flat green kind. But those would work if you have the room.
Attached Images

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com