cyano and algae growth causes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EyeInSky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just spoke with an experienced fish store owner, and he agreed both direct and ambient light would have a huge impact on the growth of algae.

He also said it's common when live rock is "smooshed" into the sand bed that it creates dead pockets for cyanobacteria to thrive. he suggested placing the rocks into the aquarium directly on the glass and just gently maneuver the sand around the rock. he said the rock might not be as stable on the glass versus the sand, but it's a pro vs. con type of thing.

he also mentioned a UV sterilizer (which we don't have) will kill some algae spores... but perhaps that's just salesman talk.

in any event, what is the thought about live rock being placed directly on the glass and the sand gently moved next to the rock versus the sand first... then rock "smooshed" on top?

I have place my rocks directly on glass and made sure it was stable before adding sand. Other option was to place egg crate ceiling panels on the glass, then add the rocks. Many reefers have done both without problems. If adding sand first, then some fish or critters might displace the sand underneath and possibly causing the pile of rocks to fall.

I do not believe a UV sterilizer is worth the money for the few algae spores that it might kill.

Back
Top Bottom