cycling problems cont. (summarized)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baldegale

Aquarium Advice Regular
basically after a month of cycling i still have no nitrates or nitrites. i do 25-50% water changes whenever the water gets 1-2ppm of ammonia. yesterday i noticed that even after a 50% water changed theres no ammonia change really. im also doing a fish in cycle with 3 neon tetras in a 10gal tank. im using a tetra whisper 10i and an aquaclear 20 together. i keep my water temps from 75-85°

basically after a month of cycling i still have no nitrates or nitrites. i do 25-50% water changes whenever the water gets 1-2ppm of ammonia. yesterday i noticed that even after a 50% water changed theres no ammonia change really. im also doing a fish in cycle with 3 neon tetras in a 10gal tank. im using a tetra whisper 10i and an aquaclear 20 together. i keep my water temps from 75-85°

That is a crazy temp swing...

Fishless cycling in optimal conditions will take a month or more...

Fish in cycling should take 2-3 times longer.

Keep ammonia low and slowly build up BB.

There should be NO3 present, are you positive you are performing the test correctly? If you're using the API kit the NO3 test is notorious for giving false readings if you don't shake the living daylights out of bottle # 2 and shake the tube for 30 seconds etc.

That is a crazy temp swing...

Fishless cycling in optimal conditions will take a month or more...

Fish in cycling should take 2-3 times longer.

Keep ammonia low and slowly build up BB.

There should be NO3 present, are you positive you are performing the test correctly? If you're using the API kit the NO3 test is notorious for giving false readings if you don't shake the living daylights out of bottle # 2 and shake the tube for 30 seconds etc.

the temp mainly stays from 80-85° i just had it at 75 for awhile until yesterday when i added a heater. i have not heard that about the NO3 readings so i will give that a shot right now. and i know it takes longer, but i would think that i should be building up at least the smallest amount of nitrites and nitrates at this point! would it be okay to add a couple more fish? it would be 3 more neon tetras.

i didnt know how to describe the temp situation so i just gave a broad range, i apologize. it stays warmer during the day then slowly cools off at night because my heater is messed up and i have to keep an eye on it.

Run the tank 80-82 if you can, warmer temps will aid in bacterial colonizing.

Grab a clean tube, rinse it with tank water 3x.

Fill tub up to the 5mL mark

Shake bottle 1 for 30 seconds.

Drop 10 drops into the tube, shake for 10 seconds.

shake the life out of bottle 2 for at least 1 minute

immediately add 10 drops into the tube

shake for 30 seconds

leave for 5 minutes to let color develop.

compare in good natural light, preferably with a white back ground.

Run the tank 80-82 if you can, warmer temps will aid in bacterial colonizing.

Grab a clean tube, rinse it with tank water 3x.

Fill tub up to the 5mL mark

Shake bottle 1 for 30 seconds.

Drop 10 drops into the tube, shake for 10 seconds.

shake the life out of bottle 2 for at least 1 minute

immediately add 10 drops into the tube

shake for 30 seconds

leave for 5 minutes to let color develop.

compare in good natural light, preferably with a white back ground.

i have daylight (5500k) bulbs in my room, its white light, would that be good for comparison?

i also should note, theres a crap ton of air in my tank, a million tiny bubbles that are so abundant it makes the water look cloudy

i also should note, theres a crap ton of air in my tank, a million tiny bubbles that are so abundant it makes the water look cloudy

or at least thats what it looks like^ i dont know how else to explain it

Back
Top Bottom