Danner Mag-Drive Pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mannydouhnut

Aquarium Advice Activist
So on Wednesday last week my Eco-Plus 1267 return pump quit on me for no reason. So I replaced it with a Danner Supreme Classic Mag-Drive 12 so far it's the quietest return pump I've ever owned. It's supposed to be slightly weaker than my old pump but this one handles head pressure much better. I was wondering what I can expect to see as far as noise with this pump in the distant future as well as how long other Supreme Classic pumps have lasted. I would also like to know what I can expect to have to do as far as long term maintenance requirements to keep it running properly.

I put a sponge filer (cut down one side to lay flat) under mind because of vibrations causing noise. Most people have very good long term results with then. I'd suggest soaking in vinegar every couple months to break down the coralline and other deposits built ip

So on Wednesday last week my Eco-Plus 1267 return pump quit on me for no reason. So I replaced it with a Danner Supreme Classic Mag-Drive 12 so far it's the quietest return pump I've ever owned. It's supposed to be slightly weaker than my old pump but this one handles head pressure much better. I was wondering what I can expect to see as far as noise with this pump in the distant future as well as how long other Supreme Classic pumps have lasted. I would also like to know what I can expect to have to do as far as long term maintenance requirements to keep it running properly.

I've been running the mag 12 for the return on my 135 for the last two years+ and she's never missed a beat,..I've only cleaned the sponge filter off,.. It's very ,very quite ,strong and reliable... No worries

I've had a good amount of mag 7's quit on me just after the warranty was up. I am currently using a pair of 9.5's right now and haven't seen any issues as of yet. I've used a mouse pad in the past inside the tank under the pump.

I've had a good amount of mag 7's quit on me just after the warranty was up. I am currently using a pair of 9.5's right now and haven't seen any issues as of yet. I've used a mouse pad in the past inside the tank under the pump.

Never would have thought of a Mouse Pad that is a great ideal thanks Doug.

I use a mag 12, havent hadnt it very long because the tank is still new for the last 6 months but i like it.
And it comes with a sponge and a little rubber pad that goes on the bottom so its quiet.

I have Mags 7 to 18's. all of them are great. Just every few months, disconnect them and soak vinegar/water mix to clean. These pumps have never gave me any problems. Even use one on my koi pond.

Would a mag 18 be too much for a 110g tank with a 30g fuge sump? Im starting an upgrade to this combo but not sure about pump size

Would a mag 18 be too much for a 110g tank with a 30g fuge sump? Im starting an upgrade to this combo but not sure about pump size

I am not the expert here like Mr. X is but I would say a 18mag is way to strong for a 110. I had a Mag 12 on my 125 and it was great. I also used the 9.5 mag in my 55 gallon pond loved it had it for over 4 years till I had to sell it because I gave the pond away to a neighbor that was moving and I was trying to make room on my patio.

You want to match your intake gph to sump with your gph return rate for your pump. The 18 is pretty strong. I'm using one of those but it's pumping from the sump in the basement about 15 feet up. I still need a stronger one. Course there are other pumps you can get. I'm going to get an external pump to use.
On the Dannermfg.com has a data and conversion table for extra info for each pump. That will help you decide which one is right for you.

This will be my first sump aquarium so im not sure how to calculate my drain gph. I have been to their sight and there is a difference of 300gph at 5' ill need to figure out how to determine my flow rate

Is your tank drilled or do you have a HOB overflow? If it's drilled, you can run less gph through it with no ill effects, but if it's a HOB siphon overflow, you can break siphon if not enough water is coming through it.

This will be my first sump aquarium so im not sure how to calculate my drain gph. I have been to their sight and there is a difference of 300gph at 5' ill need to figure out how to determine my flow rate

You usually lose 10 gph per foot. Although that will increase for every turn it needs to make. If you have your sump directly below your tank, then you can pretty well stick to this formula.

If it were me,..I'd run the mag 12 with a ball valve , that way you can physically reduce the amount of flow returning to the display tank if needed,..also make sure to plumb in a check valve ( anti syphon ) above your pump that way if you lose power you'll reduce any flow back into your sump.

It is a drilled corner over flow tank. So i should be fine going with a mag drive 12 instead of the 18 i was thinking about

Yes,.go with the 12 and use a BALL valve and ck valve,..you'll be fine ,... Nay on gate valve

Back
Top Bottom