Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

day/night shimmering led suggestions

I just got a 75 gallon tank from Petsmart which came with a fluorescent light fixture. I'd like to have daytime/nighttime LEDs and am most attracted to the "shimmer" effect advertised on Marineland's led fixtures. Is there anyway to get that shimmer if instead of buying Marineland's I just get replacement T8 LED bulbs for the florescent fixture? Is that "shimmer" just a marketing ploy for an effect that any light would cause with moving water?

Has anyone had success with these kinds of T8 LEDs? If this system would work out, I would then like to add a strip of nighttime LEDs separately so I can put each cord on a timer.

BTW, I'm going with an African cichlid setup.

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The himmer effect comes from light being reflected from a point source. Flourescent tubes do not provide a point source so they don't give a shimmer. LEDs, with many point sources give the shimmer you are looking for. As you are not looking for a coral capable light (note: this is the saltwater forum), the Marineland light should be what you are looking for.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by howmanyds View Post
I just got a 75 gallon tank from Petsmart which came with a fluorescent light fixture.
Was it the "Top Fin" package, with the tank and light hood?

Like this:

75 Gallon Fish Tank » Clear for Life Rectangle Acrylic UniQuarium 75 Gallon | PetSmart

To be honest, this is the package I should have gone with instead of the Marineland 60 gallon "Heartland Ensemble" setup which my Petsmart had a good deal on -- the 60 gallon is ridiculously way too tall to do any kind of mess-free maintenance and it's just oddly proportioned; I'll NEVER do a "tall-over-deep or long" tank ever again...

I digress; let's get back to your questions:

Quote:
I'd like to have daytime/nighttime LEDs and am most attracted to the "shimmer" effect advertised on Marineland's led fixtures. Is there anyway to get that shimmer if instead of buying Marineland's I just get LED replacement T8 bulbs for the florescent fixture? Is that "shimmer" just a marketing ploy for an effect that any light would cause with moving water?

Has anyone had success with these kinds of T8 LEDs? If this system would work out, I would then like to add a strip of nighttime LEDs separately so I can put each cord on a timer.

BTW, I'm going with an African cichlid setup.

Thanks!
While I'm not keeping Chichlids, I have a fancy goldfish setup and I am very unhappy with the "stock" fluorescent lighting that came with my Marineland tank, and so like you I am very interested in Marineland's LED day/night fixtures...I want to get that "underwater shimmering effect" as well, and I also love the idea of switching on the blue LEDs for the "moonlight under water effect." However, I didn't want to lose my hoods, but it seems the only way around this is to buy -- in my case -- Marineland's prepackaged hoods that contain the day/night LEDs and completely replace my factory hoods...the "replacement" hoods look like this:

Aquarium Lighting Led Aquarium Hoods | Marineland

I'm interested in learning more about this topic by others who may contribute with some further ideas...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for backing me up, ArtesiaWells.
I think the hood looks nice because it's an all-contained unit, but I think my personal preference will be the glass opening with the light on the back half -- we'll see what people say.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by howmanyds View Post
Thanks for backing me up, ArtesiaWells.
I think the hood looks nice because it's an all-contained unit, but I think my personal preference will be the glass opening with the light on the back half -- we'll see what people say.
I had the glass tops on my last tank and they just proved to be a real pain in the you-know-what, between constantly stepping on them and cracking them (then needing to constantly buy new ones), water evaporation causing horrendous nasty residue that never came off and constant slippage into the tank water -- very dangerous because the light strip was above it -- whenever I attempted to remove the tops for any kind of maintenance...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take the tops off, build or get a nice canopy and get a good fixture like the double brights or some T5's. I have the 48" double bright and I'm very happy. I threw my glass tops out a year ago.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...bums11717.html

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the Marineland 48" double bright on my 75 and its great. It does have a nice shimmer. I actually modded it so the blue and white LEDs are on two different circuits and timers.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonrusso View Post
I have the Marineland 48" double bright on my 75 and its great. It does have a nice shimmer. I actually modded it so the blue and white LEDs are on two different circuits and timers.
Hey J,

I really want these lights -- specifically in "replacement hood" form to replace the stock Marineland hoods that came with my Marineland tank (the LED replacement hoods look like this):

The thing is, I have read lots of positives AND negatives regarding these systems...some say they really don't give a "shimmer" at all, or that the moonlights are just a joke in terms of output. Do you have any pics of your setup to see how these lights look on your tank?

Old 03-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll see what I can so about pics. The lights DO shimmer, but yes the blues are dim but you can still see what is going on.

This is the lightning I have:

http://www.marineland.com/products/a...ng-system.aspx

I had a single bright at first and it wasn't enough. Is that hood a single or double?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonrusso View Post
I'll see what I can so about pics. The lights DO shimmer, but yes the blues are dim but you can still see what is going on.

This is the lightning I have:

White and Blue LED Aquarium Lighting System | Marineland
Indeed; that setup is pretty much what everyone runs that keeps the Double Brights -- that's the "strip" with the "feet" that can just either rest on the rim of the tank's top, or sit on glass tops, right?

Do you think the "daytime" LEDs would look better than the fluorescent strips that came in my hoods with the Marineland tank package?

Quote:
I had a single bright at first and it wasn't enough. Is that hood a single or double?
Not sure; I know in my case, I would need two 24 inch hoods to cover the top of my 60 gallon...

Tags
led, night, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com