Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
DC Sump pumps

I'm writing this as a heads up to others looking at buying a DC Return pump for their sump. CAREFUL!

RLSS Inc of H2O Canada manufactures the Waveland series of pumps. Their first generation of pumps had a fatal flaw whereas the onboard controller would crap out. This would result in a total failure or a single pole failure (1 of 3 poles) resulting in a 33% power loss and difficulty in restarting the pumps. As soon as they realized the problem they stopped making the pumps and redesigned them. There is now a Gen 2 pump out there and a newer controller is forthcoming. All 2nd gen pumps have a 30 minute feed timer. All gen 1 pumps have a 10 minute feed timer.

After they stopped manufacturing the pumps, the Chinese manufacturer rebranded the pumps as DIABLO, JABAO and SPEEDWAVE. I Had a SPEEDWAVE 2640 (which was originally a Waveland 10000), and it lasted from last July 30 to just after Christmas. It was an awesome up right up until it failed.

I would recommend you don't buy the 1st Gen pumps. Avoid the rebranded names. My distributer said they had almost complete customer failures and the designer in RLSS in Ontario gave me the whole low down on the problem and how they fixed it.

Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kind Regards,
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Always a day late and a dollar short. I just bought a waveline 2640 from BRS with the 10 minute feed delay 2 weeks ago. It's been running fine for 8 days now. I'll hold onto my Mag 18 for now. The main problem I see is the impeller housing mounting screws are accessible from the motor side so I'll need a long Phillips screwdriver to dissemble it. Also the plastic housing is thin compared to a mag pump so I'll handle it like it's made of glass.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote

pump, pumps, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com