Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Was the one you had before a bioball setup? How long did it run? Do you have to take it apart weekly to add the vodka?

Old 01-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #12

Yes, I think it was about 6 to 7 months, and no... I didn't try the fed method.. I also remember that it worked, my tank was at 0 nitrate. It remained that way for about 2 months and one day I smelled rotten eggs. Flow was too low... I then took it out with intentions of putting it back after it sat fallow for a while.. Mistake...You have to remember that when stuff dies, it lets off gas... I guess I tilted it the worng way and that smelly water shot out of it and stunk up the whole apt.. I was shocked to say the least..I got rid of it...
Old 01-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I built mine using the tubing on the outside of a 2.5 gallon platic pickle jar. I had about 60 feet of tubing coiled around the outside and then passing the flow through teh top via smalll hose barb connections. Then the whole jar was filled with bio-balls. the input had a tube going to the bottom of the unit and a second barb connector at the top for the outlet. I put the feeding tube in as an extra, you could eaily feed the unit by putting the food through the intake tub. It would eventually get pushed into the unit and feed the bacteria. If Vodka gives you issues, you can use a simple mixture of sugar and water. It is not quite as effective but does the same thing. After about a month, testing every other day, I saw 0 across the board for Nitrite and Nitrate and then started to feed 5ml per week. I missed a week all the time and never saw any fluctuation. to avoid the Sulfur problem, keep the drip going as quickly as possible without producing Nitrite and once you get that figured out it gets really simple. I have a really good fuge, so this is not that important to me, I just like to build equipment and see how it works. I will try and get some pictures to post that show my De-Nitrator.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I get a 6" piece of PVC around 24" long, and use 100' of 1/4 hose, fill it with bioballs, put a sponge in the middle with a hose going to it so bacteria can party once a week,with a flow equal to 12 drops a second, do you think I will be OK? Sorry for the run-on sentence but it is a forum. I always hated grammar anyways.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hth..

http://digitalcheese.ca/gallery/album11

http://www.aloha.net/~hqf/indexdondenitrator.htm

http://aquaripure.com/nitrates.htm - if your in the spending mood..

http://archimedes.galilei.com/raiar/denitrif.html

http://ozreef.org/component/option,c...,109/Itemid,4/
Old 01-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do not see any need for a sponge, that is what the bio-balls are for. The bacteria will grow in them and the vodka will flow accordingly. As for the 12 drops per second, that would really be a flow not drops and it will depend on the unit itself. It sounds like a decent level, but you should test the output for nitrite and nitrate to make sure. Adjust accordingly and it shoudl live forever.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know 12 drops per sec would be a stream I guess I should have said flow equal to 12 drops per second. I wish I could count that fast. Do you suggest that vodka should be added? If so just feed it it the coil tub?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I’m really confused on how something that only filters a couple of drops a sec can rid your tank of no3? I’ve read a ton of articles on the subject and all state it has to be a slow drip or else you wouldn’t rid the oxygen out and it would just act like a wet dry. Also how do you implement such a slow drip, with a 1 gph ph/pump? I’m not trying to be negative, just having a hard time figuring out how this works.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree tec. It would take a year for it to process all my water. I was hoping someone would be the guinea pig but no one stepped up. I was just going to try it for the group. If you want to drive then go for it.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Actually I think even a relatively small one would work for you as well.

I did some more research and it takes 76,800 drops of water to equal a gal of water filtered. Most are talking about 3-5 drops per sec which comes out to over 5 hours to filter just one gal of water or roughly 4 to 5 gal a day. I can understand how filtering 5 gal of water a day can lead to 0 no3 but I just have no concept of how to limit the flow to 4 or 5 gal. I can only guess that you feed a small part of your ph/pump on a gate valve to limit the flow
http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/tw/application.htm

With your setup I’d just have 4 of these running side by side which could filter 20 gal a day or 140 gal a week which in your case would be enough

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com