Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

De-nitrator construction

I started this thread to keep from leeching on vsnsofadrgn's thread. Please post if you have made a de-nitrator. How did you make it? Anyone ever used the bucket of sand setup. I may make one for fun just to see how it does. I am thinking I do not need it with a fuge but I guess redundancy may be a good thing. Also if I make the coiled one what formula do I use to figure out what size PVC, length of tube, etc that I need?

Old 01-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Come on now people. Somebody has had to try it, or know something.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I think it’s the “holy grail” of fish keeping but I keep reading about how they fail over months/years. I think we are all doomed to pwc for the rest of our lives

I thought that a fuge was the way to go nowadays for no3 control.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Ive only looked into it.. and your not getting any responces about it so here it goes..
Have you checked out any of the DIY plans for coil denitrators online?
They would need scaled up (from the way I understand they work useing them in series wouldnt help much) I would think for a tank as large as yours.

Ive also read some ok ideas on trying the bucket of sand (putting it at the end of the line in your filtration system so it will not acumulate debis so that it would not need sand sifters, ie if it becomes a mess you can just toss dispose of the sand) I havent seen word if this works or not yet (a admin on a diffent forum is trying it on his system) but.. a bucket of sand would take quite a while to work IMO
Old 01-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #5

In most of the articles I have read about the De-Nitrators failing, it was due to lack of commitment to them by the owners. They tend to require care for one to continue working properly. From what I gather, the once thought method of keeping one that did not require feeding, failed due to it either working too good, and the bacteria dying because of lack of food source(no nitrate to feed on), or food supply to keep it fed when there is not nitrate for the bacteria to consume.

I haven't kept one for long due to the maintenance, and that is why I believe my first sentence to be true. I know I am not the only one.

I do however believe that if one had the time and the commitment level to keeping up a consistent maintenance (calibrating the amount of food to feed it, flow rate as to not be too fast or slow)schedule for the de-nitrator along with all the other maintenace schedules, one might keep one going for the life of the aquarium.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
How much achohol would one have to feed one of these things timbo2?
I havnt seen the recomended amount for the pre-fab one in a while.. I cant remember..
just curious if you knew off-hand
Old 01-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #7

Well, I believe, and I may be wrong, but for starters, I would imagine at least 5ml per week?

Of course that would depend on the size of the denitrator... Again, that is not an exact science, resulting in why so many have failed... It is not that it doesn't work, or failure is evedent, it is just too darn hard to calibrate without a lot of experimenting and making it work for you... If you are not a scientist/chemist, like I am not, it gets frustrating.. I have a problem also, with feeding Vodka to my tank.. What is too much? I do not know....
Old 01-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Do they have an alcoholics anonymous for fish Can’t a fuge also help with no3 reduction and isn’t it relatively easier to maintain than one of these units? Plus I thought reverse lighting a fuge opposite your main helped with maintaining PH levels.

I haven’t seen my no3 go above 5 ppm in years even when I kept cichlids fully stocked and that was just doing a pwc of 10% each week. For the last 4 months it’s been 2.5 ppm or undetectable, maybe I’ve just been lucky.

Found a “cheap” one from AquaMedic that supposedly can be used for up to 500 gal tanks.
http://www.aquadirect.com/catalog/filters/aquamedic.htm
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Timbo you said one of the issues with failing was "bacteria dying because of lack of food" If I built a normal size one for my tank you think it would still be a issue? It could never consume it all, only help keep it low. I can not see how that would cause it to completely fail. I can see where you would have a ever changing amount of bacteria but there would always be a food source as long as you have something in your tank. I had also read of people putting 5ml of vodka in once a week for food. if it came to that I think I would pass. Sounds like to much of a risk.
Another question. Coils on the inside or outside of cylinder? I do not see where it would matter if they were outside and then you could increase your bacteria media in the cylynder. I have a box of bioballs that came with my wet/dry so all I need is some pipe and hose. I may have to try this minus the vodka idea.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #10

The vodka technically in that amount is harmless... It also would not work in a stricktly Bio-Ball setup.. You would have to have the sponge in the center of the mass to house the food... This is where the vodka would be injected. The bacteria would colonize the sponge and surrounding areas, but the center would be the source of food, or the nucleus if you will.. I think I am going to try another one when I build the 75gal setup...

Tags
construction

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com