Dead-silent tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Secios

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, i have 5 gallon tank right now, too small for my fish(2 Mollies). So I want to upgrade to atleast a 30 gallon tank. But i'm scared of the noise it might make. The tank is in my bedroom and i can't get into sleep when there is noise or water splashing. Any suggestions would be great !!

Thnx

Ian

A canister filter is your best bet for quietness. A fluval 206 or 306 would work great for that.

I'm from belgium so its easier to get my hands on an ehiem canister, but i can get a fluval 205 aswell. Any recommendations? I guess the 205 isnt that good?

I agree with the Aquaclear, it is my favorite filter I have 3 in my house. It's also easy to trouble shoot with....I have an emperor 400 as well but I don't like the water flow from it, constant trickle sound and then when trouble shooting with it...omg how many parts does a filter need?

I have an aquaclear on the tank in my bedroom. It is totally quiet. I keep the water level high, so there is no splashing. The loudest thing on this tank is the air pump.

In the living room I have a fluval 305 on a 37 gallon tank. Again, totally quiet. I love the filtration from the 305 better than the AC, but that is a matter of preference.

Thnx everyone for the suggestions !
The Aquaclear filter sounds great but i can't get it where i live. Best brand i can get is Eheim. Any suggestions on that brand? Maybe a Eheim classic?

Yet again thank you !

I'll see because the fish business isn't that big here so i probably take what i can get. I like my mollies tough(altough they are males and dominate each other during feeding). Breeding sounds fun but i don't know if have enough space in tank for that. I probably need more tanks then and i dont have that much space :'(
Eheim classic it is i guess ;) i saw some good reviews

I have my tank in my bedroom as well. Get the eheim. Virtually silent! I have to put my head right up to it even then I'm not sure if it's running. I also have an aquaclear on my tank as well. It is pretty silent other the. The water falling back into the tank. The only noise really comes from my power head and air pump. I would get an eheim2213 if you are getting a 30 gallon. I have a 35 and it works great. Hope I could help.

Thanks Hobgob ! Yes i will get it ;) I heard it was silent. I really need that to get asleep. How is the water splashing with the eheim?

Thnx again !! :)

It doesn't splash at all. I have my the the tube under water like it said in the instructions. And if you looked on YouTube their is one guy that wow. He said the instructions where not in English but they are after a couple of pages lol. The green tube going up in the intake and the horizontal one is where it come back out.

Attachments

• image-4003041995.jpg
    image-4003041995.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1301825428.jpg
    image-1301825428.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 75
Oh and priming it is super easy! Just suck on the tube coming out the top of the canister going back to the aquarium.

Hi the Eheim external would be perfect,personally i would go for one of the later models over the classic versions as i have found them to be noisier! Go for a version which is for a bigger tank then it will not have to work as hard so in theory it should be quieter? Also if in a base unit under a fish tank you could 'line' the cupboard to muffle the sound of the filter,also i wrap my filters in old towel,this is to insulate them in my shed but i am guessing also a good way to quieten it down aswell(y) Failing that try two internals. Good luck and i know what you mean about the sound as i had two tanks in my bedroom and the buzzing sent me mad :banghead::ROFLMAO:

Thnx for explaining and taking so much time hobgob !! I really love the pictures for explaining even more. I will definately get the Eheim classic !! I really love this community !! Thank you so much !

Hi if you go with a eheim classic i would take out some of the blue sponge{i think it was blue?} and replace it with eheim ehfisubstrate in a mesh bag. This is much more efficient than the sponges. So in the base put the solid pre filter the little round things,then a single sponge,then the ehfisubstrate then a single sponge and polishing pad if possible. I had a eheim classic 2217 and that all fitted:)

stingrays4 said:
Hi if you go with a eheim classic i would take out some of the blue sponge{i think it was blue?} and replace it with eheim ehfisubstrate in a mesh bag. This is much more efficient than the sponges. So in the base put the solid pre filter the little round things,then a single sponge,then the ehfisubstrate then a single sponge and polishing pad if possible. I had a eheim classic 2217 and that all fitted:)

Thank you man !! Your help is really appreciated. You have great ideas for the sound problem. And oh great tip on the filter media ! You guys are so helpfull. I can't believe it :) i'll see what my budget is when i buy it. But i rather spend more and have it completely silent !!

Ya there is a blue sponge, white foam, carbon pad, and two types of filter media rock thingys. I forget the name and at a dentist appt so I can't look it up. You don't need the carbon pad either. I got my eheim on boxing day for a good price which is why I got the classic. I would go with the newest model depending on the price but I still love my filter. It cane with two double valve which say is not included on the box. It makes it super easy to clean. Wow I can't think of what I don't like about mine... I have to think more. There might be one thing.

Back
Top Bottom