Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dealing with nitrates?

My well water has about 30ppms of nitrate in it. How would you guys suggest handling it? I'm having a tough time with it. I'm frequenting my friends house getting well water feeding smaller amounts and using seachem prime also. Its a 37gal tank with a crappy charcol filter. I hope to upgrade my tank sometime to a 75gal but not anytime soon so I need to find a way to handle the nitrates for now. Should I invest in a larger filter? A nitrates filter? Some more plants maybe? My three goldfish keep eating them tho. Any suggestions would be great. I dont have alot of money.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can do it!
I have the same problem with our well water. You are doing the right thing with the Prime. I have 2-125 gallon tanks and a 46 bowfront and I manage the nitrates with large weekly or biweekly water changes. Plants will help but they have to be fast growing plants and alot of them. My fish eat plants too so I have been using slower growing plants like the java ferns but they don't help my nitrate problem. It becomes a maintenance issue but your fish will adjust to the higher levels but weekly (at least) water changes are a must.
Good Luck!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clynnking
You can do it!
I have the same problem with our well water. You are doing the right thing with the Prime. I have 2-125 gallon tanks and a 46 bowfront and I manage the nitrates with large weekly or biweekly water changes. Plants will help but they have to be fast growing plants and alot of them. My fish eat plants too so I have been using slower growing plants like the java ferns but they don't help my nitrate problem. It becomes a maintenance issue but your fish will adjust to the higher levels but weekly (at least) water changes are a must.
Good Luck!
Absolutely! For plants, get yourself some hornwort and anacharis and you'll be golden. They are nitrate eating beasts!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clynnking
You can do it!
Good Luck!
I think one of my ryukins has been nitrate poisoned in the past before I got her because she starts bottom sitting if the nitrates get around 25ppms. Will she adjust too?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavp View Post
My well water has about 30ppms of nitrate in it. How would you guys suggest handling it? I'm having a tough time with it. I'm frequenting my friends house getting well water feeding smaller amounts and using seachem prime also. Its a 37gal tank with a crappy charcol filter. I hope to upgrade my tank sometime to a 75gal but not anytime soon so I need to find a way to handle the nitrates for now. Should I invest in a larger filter? A nitrates filter? Some more plants maybe? My three goldfish keep eating them tho. Any suggestions would be great. I dont have alot of money.
Hello Mi...

Nitrates at 30 ppm aren't bad at all. Public water supplies allow up to 40 ppm. The majority of aquarium fish adapt well to the majority of municipal tap water.

Just replace a large amount of your tank water every week or so and your fish will be fine.

You can reduce the nitrates naturally by adding stem plants. I float a lot of Anacharis and Pennywort in my tanks. These two are efficient users of added nutrients in the water, like nitrates.

Goldfish are tough on plants. You could use some tougher plants like Java fern, Onion and Amazon sword. Anubias is also a good one.

B
Old 10-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury

Hello Mi...

Nitrates at 30 ppm aren't bad at all. Public water supplies allow up to 40 ppm. The majority of aquarium fish adapt well to the majority of municipal tap water.

Just replace a large amount of your tank water every week or so and your fish will be fine.

You can reduce the nitrates naturally by adding stem plants. I float a lot of Anacharis and Pennywort in my tanks. These two are efficient users of added nutrients in the water, like nitrates.

Goldfish are tough on plants. You could use some tougher plants like Java fern, Onion and Amazon sword. Anubias is also a good one.

B
But I always catch one of my female ryukins bottom sitting. Isnt that due to nitrates?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

It could be she's having a hard time. I do agree with the others that 30ppm isn't high but if she's been through a lot and isn't as healthy as she could have been then they could be causing an issue. Have you looked into her food? What do you feed her?
When it comes to fast growing plants in goldfish tanks I've had a fair bit of success with elodea. Goldies find it mighty tasty but it grows so fast that they usually can't keep up. I'd like to suggest you do some research on riparium style setups. A riparium is a tank with marginal plants (plants that grow in boggy environments) growing out of the top. The plants hang in planters with their roots in the water. All the benefits of a planted tank with the plants being out of reach of the fish.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been feeding her hikari gold pelets with some peas and some occasional brine shrimp. I only started feeding them the pellets recenly tho about a month ago i'd been feeding them flake food and they got sick and I cut it out of there diet. By sick I just mean sluggish and unhealthy looking. For the last two weeks i'd been feeding them peas brine shrimp and some hikari algae waffers. I started feeding them the pellets a fee days ago.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

For a few days I'd cut out all pellets and wafers and stick to just greens like deshelled peas, spinach and broccoli. She might be a bit constipated. Are they sinking pellets or floating?
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sinking but i'm soaking them first and feeding daily veggis. I did that for about a week and a half before i introduced the algae wafers and it didnt seem to do anything. Would you suggest i try it again?

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com