decent refractometer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, I've had mine almost a year. I don't think I'd worry about the warrenty. They are pretty sturdy. Mines been dropped more than once. :oops:

LOL @ Fluffs comment :D I have used Refractometers for my Machines at one of my companies for years with no problems, they are pretty much bullet proof.

Best Wishes!

Mark

Maybe I could find out which refractometer is anyone's favorite, and why. I'd like this to be a once-in-a-long-while purchase if possible. I know lots of you use them and must have a reason for the one you purchased.

When I needed better accuracy I bought a beer hydrometer. I don't like refractometers b/c they can be thrown off by stuff in your water. Not that that is a huge issue but it makes me wary, being a Chem major I just don't like measuring SG with a device that does not directly measure gravity.

I had one of those hydrometers. I didn't really like how I had fill a beaker with water to get an accurate reading. It was too big of a pain. Maybe I'm just lazy :oops: Oh, then my dog knocked it off the desk and broke it during a water change LOL.

The glass tube hydrometers (Scottm's beer hydrometer) are very accurate... but also very delicate! My brother has broken one just about every other time we brew!

I've had my refractometer for over a year and have had no problems with it and rarely have to adjust the calibration. As long as you keep it clean after every use and keep it in a place it won't get knocked around between uses it should last a very long time. I wouldn't let a 6 month warrenty worry you, unless the product looks cheaply made.

Mine is a ... starts with an M... millwaukee? came with a foam lined case and adjustment screwdriver as well as a pipet, each with their own slot in the case. Everything goes back in the case after each use, i've never had any problems.

BillyZ said:
came with a foam lined case and adjustment screwdriver as well as a pipet, each with their own slot in the case. Everything goes back in the case after each use, i've never had any problems.

So did mine (I assume you mean a hard case) and this is where it stays when not in use. I wouldn't worry.

I don't see any major difference in the two. My refract. was only $45 at drsfostersmith.com - the 'generic' Premium Blue refract.

Really, there's only one option: built-in light, or not. I use the PC bulbs over the SW tank to light the prizm.

I don't like hydrometers. They are too easily skewed by tiny air bubbles stuck to the glass, and are calibrated for 65 degrees F so you have to adjust for the typical 10-15 degree increase in the tank's water temp.

Scottm, you're not measuring "gravity". You're refracting light to give you a measure of specific gravity. Being a chem major, you know that's a ratio to the density of pure water.

Salt content gives a very linear relationship for that ratio. The instrument is more than accurate enough for aquarists, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom