Decreasing micro bubbles in return pipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
While setting up my DT initially, I designed the return pipe from the sump with minimal bends in order to allow the pump to be efficient. there is a total of 3 bends.

I placed a ball valve on the return pipe, which proved invaluable. If the ball valve is fully open I get a lot of micro bubbles at the end of my return pipe going into the DT, when I adjust the valve, the bubbles decrease but my return pump starts getting noisy.

There seems to be a magic spot that regulates the flow enough to minimize the micro bubbles coupled with the sound my pump makes. I also have to adjust the flow of the feed pipe coming down from the HOB overflow to balance things out.

I'm attaching a few pics of the return pipe configuration in hopes someone may have an idea on how to minimize these micro bubbles.

For reference, my return pump is Aqua Medic submersible pump rated at 3500 liters/hour (925gph). Could my pump be too large? My DT is 450 liters(116gallons), sump is about 20 gallons.

Cheers

Wael

Attachments

• image-3611833083.jpg
    image-3611833083.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 101
  • image-686475116.jpg
    image-686475116.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 99
  • image-657496473.jpg
    image-657496473.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 120
  • image-3131530038.jpg
    image-3131530038.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 99
What is the water level in the sump near the return pump? Also does your sump have an overflow wall before entering the return pump chamber? If you can post pix, that may help. You can try adding a sponge right before the return pump (if possible) to restrict the water flow and reduce the air separation.

Just a thought.

J

first off I would remove the valve on the drain pipe to the sump.this can cause serious problems if any thing blocks it as in flooding(unless you are using a T and have the valve on one of the legs only).Your drain pipe water flow should be governed by your return pump,if you are getting micro bubles then there are bubbles entering the pump.do you have baffles before the return section or is the water overflowing into the return pump section.can you also lower the level of the return pipe in your dt as it seems very close to the surface

Back
Top Bottom