Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Deep crazing in acrylic aquarium

Hello, I just bought this 150 gallon acrylic aquarium used. There is an area (pictured) that was hidden by the lip of the stand that appears to have deep crazing or maybe cracks. It does not appear to have been leaking there and the tank was full of water when I looked at it. I can feel the crazes on the outside, but it is smooth on the inside. I am wondering if there is any way to repair/reinforce this area or is it a good candidate for a terrarium?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2896.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	19639  

texashippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You could put a piece of acrylic over it using acrylic glue.

AMDPhenomX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

That would worry me ... This might be just some accidental scratches, or they might be pressure cracks due to stress from the acrylic not thick enough for the water depth. <A 150 gal is maybe 24-30" deep, & should have 3/4" thick material.> Another possibility is that the acrylic is extruded & not cell-casted. The extruded stuff get fine checks in use & eventually turns hazy (but still structurally sound), but I don't think the checks should be deep ones like yours.

Certainly reinforcing the bottom is a good idea. If you solvent weld a strip along the bottom (I would do all 4 sides .... if it has pressure crack on one side, it will prob happen at the other sides too.), you would in effect increase the thickness all along the bottom edge, and create a kind of a rim to reinforce the tank. This maybe overkill, esp. if the area was cracked because of a blow, but you prob. sleep better at night doing it.
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Me no like.
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com