Deep crazing in acrylic aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texashippie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I just bought this 150 gallon acrylic aquarium used. There is an area (pictured) that was hidden by the lip of the stand that appears to have deep crazing or maybe cracks. It does not appear to have been leaking there and the tank was full of water when I looked at it. I can feel the crazes on the outside, but it is smooth on the inside. I am wondering if there is any way to repair/reinforce this area or is it a good candidate for a terrarium?
Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN2896.jpg
    DSCN2896.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 369
That would worry me ... This might be just some accidental scratches, or they might be pressure cracks due to stress from the acrylic not thick enough for the water depth. <A 150 gal is maybe 24-30" deep, & should have 3/4" thick material.> Another possibility is that the acrylic is extruded & not cell-casted. The extruded stuff get fine checks in use & eventually turns hazy (but still structurally sound), but I don't think the checks should be deep ones like yours.

Certainly reinforcing the bottom is a good idea. If you solvent weld a strip along the bottom (I would do all 4 sides .... if it has pressure crack on one side, it will prob happen at the other sides too.), you would in effect increase the thickness all along the bottom edge, and create a kind of a rim to reinforce the tank. This maybe overkill, esp. if the area was cracked because of a blow, but you prob. sleep better at night doing it.

Back
Top Bottom