Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
90 gal so a good size

If your are set on getting a nitrate reactor then the one that works the best is full of bio media and it need to be dosed with vodka with the use of a dosing pump if you want it to take care of its self that is

If you was a home then you could dose it yourself

You also need a big circulation pump about 1200 lph

I don't think it will be able to handle the bio load of goldfish as it just drips in the tank at about one drip per second to fast and it won't do anything to slow and it will smell of bad eggs

It will also lower the ph and you will need to run a in line calcium reactor to keep the ph stable

The return pipe from the nitrate reactor to a calcium reactor then back to the tank this pipe is the small air line type 4mm

Like I said I have tried loads on my old 350 gal and they was rubbish so much so when I set up my 1000 gal I dumped them

T1KARMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yea that sounds like a headache and if I'm not around the wife definitely won't know what to do if something goes wrong. The sump is a trickle tower and I already ordered 12 kilos of ceramic rings for the middle chamber. Could roots take hold in those or are they too big and heavy to dig through?

gravereaper0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This a first on roots in ceramic rings, but it would be worth a try. Make sure plant is receiving some light from room , for example my plant is receiving light from a basement window. There is more information online under aquaponics for aquariums, you will see how creative people got with using plants. Pothos are not a demanding plant at all Hope I was helpful
tlindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
What I'm gonna do is get one of those big 6"x12" bashsea reactors and fill it up with 4 liters of seachem denitrate. I'm using the term "reactor" loosely here, the seachem denitrate just needs a container with low flow, so actually let's call it a media chamber. Have a Rio 50 or 90 (whichever I can find cheaper) push water through it probably between 10-20 gph. Just a guess, its one of those things you have to dial down. Should I put the pump in the return of the sump or in the trickle tower inside of a filter sock? The output is definitely going into the trickle tower to re oxygenate the water.

gravereaper0 is offline   Reply With Quote

oil, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com