Dependable sump return pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phranque

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been piecing together stuff to build myself a frag/prop tank, and I just scored an unused custom 25 gallon main tank (gonna drill it), and am going to use a spare 20g long as a sump.
What is going to be a good, dependable submerged return pump? (emphasis on dependable!!!) I have some freakishly horrible luck when it comes to water pumps. I'm looking for about 750gph or so with 2.5' to 3' of head pressure, and I'm not really worried about heat transfer..... this will be in the basement, which is always cooler than the rest of the house, which we run at 68 to 70 degrees.

Last edited:
Cool.... BRS carries Mags. They offer a "Preferred Reefer" discount on the 9.5, but not the 7. Maybe I'll see what they look like on the next group buy. I can always throttle down a larger pump if it's too much.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mag pumps are the most popular IMO within the states.

Sicce and eheim are said to be more quiet than mag. I'd probably go with one of those 2 pumps if I didn't have my mag 18. Skimmer is louder than all 3 of these pumps, so it doesn't really matter..

Not really worried about noise.... it's going to be down in the laundry room by the water barrels. The drain line & filter sock will probably be making more noise than the pump....

Again, my biggest thing is dependability. I don't know WTF it is, but it seems like if I touch a pump, it's dead within a few months!! Both of my Accela 266's in my JBJ nano died within two days of each other at about 5 months old, the pump in my Tunze 9002 died within 3 months of brand new, and I lost a Koralia 425 a few weeks ago. :banghead: I've completely torn them apart, and it's not calcification on the shafts.... they just flat out quit working!!! I swear, I was about ready to take a 12 gauge to the tank.......

Last edited:
Eheim compact 1000 2000 3000 or 5000

Great pumps and the 1000 is only £20

Thanks for the advice, guys.... just picked up a good deal today on a NIB Mag 12. I know, a bit overkill, but it was a great deal (less than half price). I figure I can gate valve it down, and if I ever choose to run a second tank off of the sump, I'll have plenty of reserve.

Back
Top Bottom