Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dependable sump return pump

I've been piecing together stuff to build myself a frag/prop tank, and I just scored an unused custom 25 gallon main tank (gonna drill it), and am going to use a spare 20g long as a sump.
What is going to be a good, dependable submerged return pump? (emphasis on dependable!!!) I have some freakishly horrible luck when it comes to water pumps. I'm looking for about 750gph or so with 2.5' to 3' of head pressure, and I'm not really worried about heat transfer..... this will be in the basement, which is always cooler than the rest of the house, which we run at 68 to 70 degrees.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mag 7 hands down best option imo here.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Cool.... BRS carries Mags. They offer a "Preferred Reefer" discount on the 9.5, but not the 7. Maybe I'll see what they look like on the next group buy. I can always throttle down a larger pump if it's too much.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mag pumps are the most popular IMO within the states.

Sicce and eheim are said to be more quiet than mag. I'd probably go with one of those 2 pumps if I didn't have my mag 18. Skimmer is louder than all 3 of these pumps, so it doesn't really matter..
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not really worried about noise.... it's going to be down in the laundry room by the water barrels. The drain line & filter sock will probably be making more noise than the pump....

Again, my biggest thing is dependability. I don't know WTF it is, but it seems like if I touch a pump, it's dead within a few months!! Both of my Accela 266's in my JBJ nano died within two days of each other at about 5 months old, the pump in my Tunze 9002 died within 3 months of brand new, and I lost a Koralia 425 a few weeks ago. I've completely torn them apart, and it's not calcification on the shafts.... they just flat out quit working!!! I swear, I was about ready to take a 12 gauge to the tank.......
Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Eheim compact 1000 2000 3000 or 5000

Great pumps and the 1000 is only £20
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks for the advice, guys.... just picked up a good deal today on a NIB Mag 12. I know, a bit overkill, but it was a great deal (less than half price). I figure I can gate valve it down, and if I ever choose to run a second tank off of the sump, I'll have plenty of reserve.

Tags
pump, return pump, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com