DI Resin used up already?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've produced about 25-30 gallons of water with my new aquasafe unit, and tds from the di unit has climbed from 0 to about 20 in a period of what, about 2 weeks?

water I produced earlier still has a tds of 1 and it's been sitting in a 5 gallon bucket for a long time

are there some chemicals known to evade RO filtration and destroy the DI resin so quickly?

output on my RO membrane was about 50-60 tds, I will retest it shortly and see if the membrane has malfunctioned somehow.

hmm

I think I found the culpirate - there was air trapped in the di cartridge... I took everything apart to make sure it was all plumbed up correctly, and when I hooked it back up and turned it on, I noticed a lot of bubbles in the production water - so I unclipped the di cartridge and turned it outlet side up and gave it a good shake and some nocking around - lots of air came out... now TDS is back in the 4-5 range, which is probably residual bubbles or something.

RO product was at a TDS of 44, which means the DI is still taking a lot of abuse. So far the city's water manager has been off for holidays - I'll start questioning him after new years I guess.

Did you flush the RO membrane for a couple of hours before hooking up the DI cartridge? The RO membrane is packed in some chemicals that will wipe out a DI cart in short order. I flushed mine for a while and my first DI was still gone after about 75 gal of production. I changed it and this one has made several hundred gallons with little color change...TDS is still at 1.
Also, do you know what your water pressure is? Mine runs from 40-60lbs depending on the mood of the well pump. Low pressure will cause high TDS from the membrane which will also deplete the DI cart quickly. I don't remember what my TDS out of the membrane was...about 14 I think. It is 77 going in from the water line.

logan good thing to point out

yes, I ran it for about 4 hours prior to hooking up the di cartridge, and then flushed the di resin for another few hours

I haven't invested in a pressure gauge yet, but it's pretty good here - all new commerical construction

i notice that TDS is dropping from 4-5 to 0-1 in the buckets as they sit ... I wonder if dissolved gases are somehow effecting the tds reading

Back
Top Bottom