Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
DI Water?

Just a Quick Question is DI water drinkable?

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
well, I watched a show on the history channel the other night about bottled water. In part of it they were talking about ro/di water. They mentioned they add minerals back into the water after it is filtered, but they said it was only for taste. Apparently pure water has a "rough taste," whatever that means. If it was undrinkable I'd think they would have mentioned it.

If you've ever heard of heavy water though, that stuff can kill you if you drink a crazy amount of it. Really hard to do since heavy water only makes up a tiny percentage of regular water. Basically it's a regular water molecule, but the hydrogen atoms have a neutron on them, making it more dense, or 'heavy.'

Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, DI water is perfectly safe to drink. All it is is "pure water". DI stand stands for "deionized" meaning that the water was purified by removing the ions and metals from the water. Other methods of purifying water include distillation, which is boiling the water and collecting the pure water in a distillation chamber, hence the name of the process. Also, RO water or reverse osmosis water is produced by pushing water across a membrane using pressure. Water is pushed from a higher concentration of ions to a lower concentration of ions in this process, which is the REVERSE of the natural process called OSMOSIS.

Water having a "rough taste" means that you can taste the heavy metals such as iron. You'd know what I'm talking about if you have ever taken a drink from a drinking fountain with lime deposits by the spout.

Heavy water contains two deutirium atoms rather than the more commonly occuring hydrogen atoms. Deutirium atoms, are in fact heavier or more massive than hydrogen atoms because they have an extra neutron, as jrp mentioned. Also water is made up of a very small percentage of these molecules. Heavy water was also used in Germany for the development of nuclear bombs in the 1940's.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6749 View Post
Water having a "rough taste" means that you can taste the heavy metals such as iron. You'd know what I'm talking about if you have ever taken a drink from a drinking fountain with lime deposits by the spout.
That's the thing though, they said the purified water has the rough taste. I've certainly tasted my share of overly hard water, so I know what that's about.

Then again, I have heard from a friend of mine that if you drink 100% pure water, even just a glass full, it can over saturate your cells and kill you. Granted, this sounded like a load of bovine secretion to me, and a quick google search backs this up. I'll be sure to rub it in his face next time I see him.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com