Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Originally Posted by Lonewolfblue
Now, after doing some thinking, could this be a good idea?

Run a diatom filter til the water is crystal clear. If the GW comes back, do it again and when the water is crystal clear, do a 3 day blackout. I think this could eliminate the having to do the extra PWC's before and after the blackout, as the water will be clear and you are just killing off the little bit of remaining GW in the tank?

Just ordered the Vortex Diatom Filter- XL. How often do you need to change out the filter bag? Can it be rinsed out and reused numerous times, or is it once it's plugged up, it needs to be replaced?
Just rinse off the filter bag and it can be used many times. The actual filtering is done by the diatom powder which coats the filter bag and prevents the bag from gumming up with waste.

Roach182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally got the tank clear, gave everything a good pruning and replanting...looked pretty good for this pic, but next day it's already visibly clouding up again...tomorrow will run the diatom and then it's LIGHTS OUT for 3 days for me. Will update after!

newfound77951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Hmmmmm, wonder what I'm going to do with my diatom filter now, lol. Greenwater is gone, crystal clear water after 3 days into my heat treatment for ick. Temp is at 89 degrees.

Awsome looking tank. Can't wait to start up my 29G. Going to put the eco in here shortly, and give it a few days to completely settle before setting up my filter.
55G Filstar XP3 - 16" Fire Eel
75G Medium Planted - Filstar XP3 Low Light - Established Feb 2006
Lonewolfblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:51 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Originally Posted by QTOFFER
A big round of applause for Greenmaji for pointing me in the right direction.
WOW!!.. thanks for the applause and
Sorry I missed that 8O

newfound... Im reading though and it sounds like you might be carbon limited..

What's your tank specs?
Lighting type, intensity, wattage, K of bulbs (can get at effective wattage), age of bulbs.?
Size tank?
And are you using CO2? If so, DIY? preasurized? method of difusing? CO2 levels KH and PH?
Are you dosing miro's?
other then N and P what else are you doseing?

Am I posting all this and you have it figured out already

greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote

diatom, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com