Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Diatom filter

I've never used a diatom filter before. How do you set it up? where do you put the fine powder? And how often should it be changed out?

Old 05-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What model is it? I used to have a Vortex diatom filter, the diatom powder went in the canister, on the outside of the filter bag. Worked like any canister filter, intake/outflow hoses, etc. Not sure how often it needs changing, it filters incredibly small particles, as well as anything larger. Not necessary to run all the time, mainly for polishing cloudy water. They will filter out Ich.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
from what I know its setup like this, you have a bottle that hangs in the tank and fills with water, you put your intake and output hoses bothi n this bottle and turn the machine on for am inutes so it can prime itself, then once its primed you put the hoses in the actual tank itself abd let it do its job. the powder needs to be replaced after every use according to the manufactors specs. now you can go a couple times without changing but it can clog up and the water quality won't be as good. its not as bad as it sounds considering the filter would really only need to be ran but once or twice a month
Old 05-03-2006, 02:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was looking at the vortex....

Main purpose is getting rid of green water. I don't have it bad, but would like to remove it with the filter while I get my parameters straightened out. Then maybe run it once a month for polishing.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:44 AM   #5
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

this is exaclty my problem I do not have perfect clear water, it is a bit towards green, this type of filter will do the job? or a UV from what I heard.
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

A diatom filter should clear the water, but unless you fix what's causing the problem, even with a UV filter, it will just come back. I'm currently working on trying to fix my algae problem, and will just use it to clear up the water as needed, instead of doing PWC's every other day. A UV filter will kill off the algae, but will still have a buildup of dead algae in the water. But with a diatom filter, you take the algae out of the water.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:03 AM   #7
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

interesting? would it be recommended to have a diatom and a uv for parasites?
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think UV is a waste of money, as diatom filters also remove parasites like ick, etc. As long as it's free-floating.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

There was another thread recently about diatom filters, and someone had put in a link to a fantastic photo essay they did about setting one up. The thread is currently at the bottom of the General Discussion forum...check it out if you haven't found it already!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The thread was started by Darb21, and its very good.

Tags
diatom, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com