Diatom Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

realdeal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 36g FW tank with a Rena XP2 filter.

I see alot of posts about Diatom Filters and I am curious...

Can someone please explain to me or point me to a link that explains what exactly a Diatom filter is? Used for? Is it used by itself or in conjunction with another filter?

Diatoms are little tiny critters that grow a tiny glass skeleton. They are the brown stuff that grows in new tanks. Once they die and dry out you have a fine white powder. This powder is all there tiny little skeletons. The skeletons are kind pointy and branchy. This causes them to kind of interlock with each other. Since they are very small and interlocked the gaps between them are very very very small. Water can pass through these gaps but not much else will. Diatoms are the white powder they use in pool filters also.

Thanks!

Is it something I need in my tank? Does it run by itself or in conjunction with my other filter? Are there any drawbacks to a Diatom filter?

You can use them to polish your water. There are self powered and unpowered models. They clog to fast to constantly use them. I wouldn't worry about it.

FWIW - I use my diatom filter with every pwc just to clear up the water and polish it (in my fw tank). You wouldn't want to run it for any length of time because they clog up after 12-24 hours. The benefit of using a diatom filter is that it will remove tiny, tiny particles and really clear up (polish) your water. I've heard folks say that it will even remove ich from tanks. If you can get one for cheap I'd jump on it otherwise it's not something I'd run out and buy right away.

Back
Top Bottom