Diatom filter or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just finished with my fw pwc. I usually run my diatom filter right after the water change to finish it all off. Now, my question....

I'm planning on doing a small amout of aquascaping this weekend (on my sw tank) followed by the usual weekly pwc. I'm sure I'll get things rather stirred up and I'm wondering if it would be kosher to run the diatom filter on the sw tank too? (and yes, I would clean it up and change the media before using it on my sw tank).

TIA!

I`m not to familar with a diatom filter but you will be OK doing a PWC after your aquascaping. Just have some extra on hand in case you need to do another a few days later.

Moved to hardware/equipment forum:

Diatom filters (like the Vortex XL] doesn't harm a thing and I'll drop my "micro filter" (essentially the same thing) into my Mag 350 canister for extra polishing if needed after aquascaping.

Which brand of diatom filter are you using?

I'm using the System 1 Diatom Filter. It has worked out really well for me in my fw tank. I was concerned about using it in the sw tank. It turns out that my aquascaping wasn't that bad (meaning I didn't stir up too much stuff) and I did a pwc, as suggested, everyone is happy.....new cubby holes to explore and such.

Back
Top Bottom