Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Diatom Filters....

So i remember when i was little and helped my dad on his tanks...every now and then he would pull out a diatom filter... hook it up and let it run for an hour or so... then clean it.. box it back up and put it away...

is this still a reality? i never hear anything about them on here... and i dont even think i see them in my LFS....

Andrewz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

They still exist, I've even seen them for sale once in while. You can pick up diatom powder (but it usually has to be special ordered). I dont think many people use them anymore. Basically the idea was to strip the water of anything and everything in hopes of keeping it crystal clear. We also used to take all the LR or dead corals out and bleach them white again every couple of months. Now days everyone runs a much healthier, more natural system, so the use of the diatom filters has fallen to the way side. I've still pulled mine out and use it on occassion to deal with issues like dinoflagellates or when I had calupera go sexual on me in a tank, but otherwise it sits unused in my cabinet.

the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Diatom filters are mostly used on pools. Diatomaceous earth is white filter media that needs to be changed every so often. It's a pain.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote

diatom, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com