diatom filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ph34r3d

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do diatom filters really work as well as they are supposed to? I seem to have a slight problem persay with diatom algae.. but I haven't had a chance to add any snails or anything yet. Should I add the snails first and see what happens or is a diatom filter something worth investing in?

These filters have a misleading name. They use diatom exoskeletons as a filtering media. They are capable of filtring out very small particles and polishing the water but are supposed to clog up fairly quickly.

ph34r3d it sounds to me from your other post as well possibly your tank has just finished cycling or is still in the process? As far as diatoms go this is common during the initial stages of setting up a tank they should go away on there own as long as you do not keep introducing silicates into the tank. Diatom filters are not necessary when you could be spending that money on something like a ro/di unit which will elimintate silicates in your tank instead of just removing them once you dump them in which the diatom filter would do. HTH

the tank is cycled.. and I have a few fish in there .. I just wish I could get rid of the diatom algae... what is an ro/di unit? where could I get one? and are they worth it?(if you can't tell.. I am new to saltwater)

an ro/di unit is a water purification system which strips out all the metals, chlorine, silicates and other stuff in tap water that leads to unwanted algae in a fish tank. IMO they are one of the best purchases you can make in this hobby. For about $100 you can get a decent one on ebay. a quick search on ebay found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7700861115&category=20756&rd=1 which is what you are typically looking for.

That is okay but for the price you can find better. I'm sure you dont need to be making 200 GPD and thats pretty much what your paying for. If your not into the whole ebay purchasing you can do something like this http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=KM1431 I do not know the size of your tank but if you set that up and let it run im sure you will manage. I personally use that exact one and have never had problems with it. In fact I love it :wink:

idk about the first one you said just for the fact that I do not thing it has a membrane. I could be wrong but I dont see one. Your not going to be emptying the tank and starting over. So I would suggest something along the lines of the one I sent you or possibly the same model but the 65 GPD unit. Than when you get it you start using this for your water changes and you will start to see those diatoms start to disappear

Back
Top Bottom