Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

diatom filters

Do diatom filters really work as well as they are supposed to? I seem to have a slight problem persay with diatom algae.. but I haven't had a chance to add any snails or anything yet. Should I add the snails first and see what happens or is a diatom filter something worth investing in?

Old 07-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

These filters have a misleading name. They use diatom exoskeletons as a filtering media. They are capable of filtring out very small particles and polishing the water but are supposed to clog up fairly quickly.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #3

clog up quickly? would they work along with filters to keep the water cleaner?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
ph34r3d it sounds to me from your other post as well possibly your tank has just finished cycling or is still in the process? As far as diatoms go this is common during the initial stages of setting up a tank they should go away on there own as long as you do not keep introducing silicates into the tank. Diatom filters are not necessary when you could be spending that money on something like a ro/di unit which will elimintate silicates in your tank instead of just removing them once you dump them in which the diatom filter would do. HTH
JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:45 PM   #5

the tank is cycled.. and I have a few fish in there .. I just wish I could get rid of the diatom algae... what is an ro/di unit? where could I get one? and are they worth it?(if you can't tell.. I am new to saltwater)
Old 07-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

an ro/di unit is a water purification system which strips out all the metals, chlorine, silicates and other stuff in tap water that leads to unwanted algae in a fish tank. IMO they are one of the best purchases you can make in this hobby. For about $100 you can get a decent one on ebay. a quick search on ebay found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=20756&rd=1 which is what you are typically looking for.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #7

how about this one??

http://www.petsolutions.com/Deion+20...I-C-44-C-.aspx
Old 07-13-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is okay but for the price you can find better. I'm sure you dont need to be making 200 GPD and thats pretty much what your paying for. If your not into the whole ebay purchasing you can do something like this http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=KM1431 I do not know the size of your tank but if you set that up and let it run im sure you will manage. I personally use that exact one and have never had problems with it. In fact I love it
Old 07-13-2005, 05:03 PM   #9

I have a 75 gallon tank with a filtration system that is about 5 gal
Old 07-13-2005, 05:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

idk about the first one you said just for the fact that I do not thing it has a membrane. I could be wrong but I dont see one. Your not going to be emptying the tank and starting over. So I would suggest something along the lines of the one I sent you or possibly the same model but the 65 GPD unit. Than when you get it you start using this for your water changes and you will start to see those diatoms start to disappear

Tags
diatom, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com