Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Diatom filters and ground probes

Dual purpose thread. I would like a few opinions on whether people still use diatoms filters to polish water and the necessity of ground probes. I still have both of these items in a dusty box.
Thanks in Advance

7 month old 100 gallon. Hopefully on my way to a great reef tank. A few small fish and a few small soft corals. T5 HO Lights and ro/di unit.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Diatom filters can easily strip the water of all nutrient which is often not a good choice. Carbon is a much better way to clarify the system without stripping it of needed nutrient. The probe is IMO, a fad and not really effective for it's implied purpose. It is also rather dangerous if you have faulty wiring and you place your hands in the water. A GFCI is a much better choice in this regard.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would not run the diatom 24/7 but I have one and it saved my tank when it crashed. I am still not sure what happened but every thing was dying and the tank looked like someone poured milk in the water. Did many WC over a 3 day period and it never got better. A friend said try my diatom, so I did. Had the water better in a few hours and after running 24 it was crystal clear. I will never get rid of that filter.
They make carbon that you can use with that filter if you want to polish the water. I use it once or twice a year if I get a lot of free floating particles that won't settle out. Never been a issue with my reef.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

diatom, filter, filters, probes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com