Diatom filters and ground probes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tex

Aquarium Advice Freak
Dual purpose thread. I would like a few opinions on whether people still use diatoms filters to polish water and the necessity of ground probes. I still have both of these items in a dusty box.
Thanks in Advance

Diatom filters can easily strip the water of all nutrient which is often not a good choice. Carbon is a much better way to clarify the system without stripping it of needed nutrient. The probe is IMO, a fad and not really effective for it's implied purpose. It is also rather dangerous if you have faulty wiring and you place your hands in the water. A GFCI is a much better choice in this regard.

Cheers
Steve

I would not run the diatom 24/7 but I have one and it saved my tank when it crashed. I am still not sure what happened but every thing was dying and the tank looked like someone poured milk in the water. Did many WC over a 3 day period and it never got better. A friend said try my diatom, so I did. Had the water better in a few hours and after running 24 it was crystal clear. I will never get rid of that filter.
They make carbon that you can use with that filter if you want to polish the water. I use it once or twice a year if I get a lot of free floating particles that won't settle out. Never been a issue with my reef.

Back
Top Bottom