Diatomagic = money well spent. [w/pix]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmalls

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my quest to uncloud the water in my 10G, I went and got this:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28837;category_id=3319

Before:
sm_before.jpg

After:
sm_after.jpg

It literally only took 10 minutes for the water to get back to crystal clear. The filter was HUGE and created a lot of flow, but was 70$ well spent. Now to curb my overfeeding tendancies. :D

before.jpg

tankdiatom.jpg

after.jpg

These things are sweet :) I only had to use one once but it was worth it when I used it. I am surprised you fit the thing in a 10g tank, were any fish in the tank at the time? They must have been running from the current ;)

Nice pix! I saw those when I was researching my issue. I was surprised at how huge the filter actually was. I had to clear a bunch of space in the tank so it could fit. :D Instead of dumping the flow 100% into the water, I had it running down the front of the filter, kind of at a 45 degree angle. It took so short of a time that I could have left it at 100% flow, but I wasn't sure how long it would take.

My betta was nosey as usual and wisely went to the other side when the flow kicked in. lol

Green water afterwards:
sm_goo.jpg

Wouldn't it have been possible to just get the diatomaceous earth (DE) from a pool store and put it into your usual HOB filter? I thought a read about someone doing this.

-brent

Nope, the DE powder would go right through the filter pads and turn the tank into a cloud. The DE powder is extremely fine and needs to be used with something that can hold micron sized particles.

You can use the DE power with Marineland Magnum filters, because these come with micron cartridges already. The Diamtomagic is a much easier solution though.

I wouldn't have believed it either, my friend, unless I had seen it first hand.

You *could* use it everyday, but you'd probably be cleaning it every 12 hours or so because it sucks up super small particles. It's pretty much for cloudiness emergencies.

Haha....Thats a great idea. You could charge a flat rate for shipping to any of our friends in the US and have that sucker paid for in no time! :lol:

the shipping wouldnt go to him/her. it would go to the ups or usps. you would charge rent though

Back
Top Bottom