Did BRS just rip me off??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Searchin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought the BH-1000 HOB skimmer. On their website, it says it uses the OTP-1000s 13 watt pump that spits out 250 GPH...

When the box arrived, I got this...

image-89320187.jpg

It's the AQ-1000s 9 watt w/ 120GPH...

That's less than half of the others performance..

image-3145791395.jpg

Then on the box they leave this note... "Updated".... More like down graded.

Finally, the instruction book says this

image-1286272984.jpg

What do you guys think? Send this back? I'm pretty pissed, this is completely false advertisement. I spent 200 bucks on it.

Someone tell me how much of a difference this will make in my skimmers efficacy..

You should most def. call them for either a full refind or exchange with them paying for return shipping.

Skimmer expertise needed!

So I called BRS and they said they were unaware of the change that occurred. The pump is apparently supplied by coralvue. The BRS guy called coralvue and got this response...

The OTP product was switched to AQS by coralvue because they found it to pull more air into the skimmer and improve quality. Coralvue also offers a 2 year warranty with the AQS pump.

So here is my concern/ question... If your pump is producing less, does the lesser GPH improve aeration and skimming quality.

If it does, ill keep the skimmer. If not then I'm getting a refund.

My basic instincts tell me that they are just trying to cut cost. That they are giving a 2 year warranty to soften the blow. It seems too sketchy to me. Anyone have thoughts on this please!

I would feel the same way, but I'm not sure if you already have a product that is successful, you would want to lower the quality to save a buck. I mean, they have a good name, which is not easy in such a competitive market.
This pump may pull less water, but more air. I don't know that for sure though. I would ask them for stats on this pump so you can make a decision on what is best for you.

Keep in mind that, with a protein skimmer, more is not always better...... The secret to good skimming is maximum contact time with the air bubbles. They could have found that the 250gph was pushing water through too quickly, not allowing enough contact time. A slower pump with more atomized air will be more efficient at grabbing fine particulates.

I would feel the same way, but I'm not sure if you already have a product that is successful, you would want to lower the quality to save a buck. I mean, they have a good name, which is not easy in such a competitive market.
This pump may pull less water, but more air. I don't know that for sure though. I would ask them for stats on this pump so you can make a decision on what is best for you.

What other specs should I look for?

Keep in mind that, with a protein skimmer, more is not always better...... The secret to good skimming is maximum contact time with the air bubbles. They could have found that the 250gph was pushing water through too quickly, not allowing enough contact time. A slower pump with more atomized air will be more efficient at grabbing fine particulates.

What would you do? Lol

What would you do? Lol

Well, like MrX said, they've got a darn good reputation in a very competitive market, and their skimmers are pretty much considered top of the heap as far as consumer grade products. If you have doubts, call them directly and see what kind of answer you get...... if it feels off, then call BRS and explain why you aren't happy and that you'd like to return it. They have excellent customer service, and will likely take it back as long as it's unused and you didn't destroy the packaging.

I concur. Their customer service is top notch. It might be fine but if you are uncomfortable with it they will most likely take a return. I have spent thousands of dollars with BRS precisely because their customer service is excellent - even though some times they may not have the lowest advertised price. The few times I have had issues they have remedied it to my satisfaction without fail. I highly doubt they would intentionally rip you off as that is not how they do business. They have a very good operating philosophy and mission on their website and in my experience they live by it - it isn't window dressing. In the end despite best intentions sometimes things change or go wrong. If you decide the specs were wrong and therefore you want a refund, id ask for it. They will send you a prepaid ups label in most cases.

I will chime in and reiterate what everyone has said about BRS: They didn't get their great, and well deserved, reputation by ripping people off intentionally. I would check the tech specs on the new pump and see if you can get an answer out of Coralvue about why exactly they changed the pump. According to the Coralvue page, the AQ-1000 is the now-standard pump for the BH-1000: CoralVue- Reef Octopus Aquatrance 1000s Pinwheel Skimmer Pump

Back
Top Bottom