Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Diffrence between LED and Flouresent??

I have a Flouresent light on my 75 right now an I'm thinking I should go to LEDs. Whats the difference between LED and Flouresent lighting?

Old 03-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Florescent lighting uses electrical current in a mercury vapor to excite electrons to produce light. LEDs are light emitting diodes that emit photons through electroluminescence.

Beyond that, there are a myriad of varieties of each type of lighting you listed, and there are pros and cons to each... cost, cost to operate, wavelength of light, point lighting vs. diffuse lighting, wattage, color temperature, etc. etc. There are also fixtures in both categories that are great for coral, plants, etc, and there are fixtures in both categories that are junk.

What is it you are trying to accomplish, and we might be able to narrow in on what it is you want to know.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm kind of interested in this too. I'm a big believer in LEDs, but how do they rate/compare with growing plants? Do LEDs provide the same spectrum and luminosity as a fluorescent?
Current: 50 gal freshwater. Soil substrate, sand/gravel cap, live planted tank, Super HW-302 filter. 2 blue line rasbora, 3 red serpae tetra, 1 black molly, 2 koi angelfish, 1 plecostomus, 2 blue dwarf gourami, 1 common musk turtle named Leo.
vexxiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It very much depends on the led you choose. There is a wide range of LEDs from terrible to great.

I only use LEDs now and keep a nice reef with lots of sps and have had a couple of FW planted tanks that have done great with LEDs.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com