Digital Thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry if it has... Digital temp readers. Any better then those glass ones or the strip that goes on the side?

Right. Ow I have a glass one on each side of the tank. Was just curious. Xmas time and being asked what I want :)

Wasn't sure if it's worth it.

Convict2161 said:
Sorry if it has... Digital temp readers. Any better then those glass ones or the strip that goes on the side?

Right. Ow I have a glass one on each side of the tank. Was just curious. Xmas time and being asked what I want :)

Wasn't sure if it's worth it.

I don't know about anyone else but I prefer the glass ones. The strips are inaccurate and in the digital ones the batteries can go flat. Glass ones always read spot on and no worries about it not working!

Not to mention they are cheap also. I use glass thermometers only, they are less than $2 each. I only put one in each tank since the water circulates it is pretty close no matter where I stick it.

jetajockey said:
Not to mention they are cheap also. I use glass thermometers only, they are less than $2 each. I only put one in each tank since the water circulates it is pretty close no matter where I stick it.

^^ good point. I got 5 for $5.

I don't know about anyone else but I prefer the glass ones. The strips are inaccurate and in the digital ones the batteries can go flat. Glass ones always read spot on and no worries about it not working!

I use glass thermometers too. But the strips get a bad wrap. They work better than people give them credit for. I tested a strip and it read the exact same temperature as my glass thermometer.

I have a $10 digital one that I bought from Big Als a while ago. I do calibration of inspection and test equipment at my company. My glass one vs a thermocouple vs a digital thermometer. The glass was always right (round down or up), my particular digital thermometer was always a less than degree lower. I tested a friends digital and her's was spot on.

The tests were done in an oven and in a water bath.

We have digitals on all our tanks and love them. They have alarms on them so if the temp fluctuates up or down more than 3 degrees, the alarm goes off.

I don't like the glass ones simply because I have trouble reading them.

LyndaB said:
We have digitals on all our tanks and love them. They have alarms on them so if the temp fluctuates up or down more than 3 degrees, the alarm goes off.

I don't like the glass ones simply because I have trouble reading them.

Well hello LyndaB!! :)

I like alarms :) maybe I'll just say... Yeah sure pick me up one. What kind should I ask for hmmmmm?

+1 for fort's point. A whole lot of people have given the stick-on thermometers a bad name. I find that mine stick-on is just as accurate as my glass thermometer. Digital sounds nice though...I guess it all depends on what you want price wise.

Gonna put it on the list. Can anyone offer suggestions on a good one? There's a good LFS near me that has all that cool stuff. Wouldn't buy fish from them but they have everything you can think of!

It's huge!! Like a grocery store.

Beautiful betta btw...

The one I tested and used is the Coralife that I got on Big Al's.

Coralife Battery Operated Digital Thermometer : Thermometers

It is battery operated (haven't changed the batteries in over two years) but I only use it to check the tanks once a week and for water changes. Like I said, it is about a degree lower than the thermocouple and glass thermometer I tested. Not a big deal to me though.

You may want to look for one that can be plugged in then, or just stick with a glass one. I liked the Coralife because the probe and cord were black and blended with my black background on my tank.

I've seen some with bright white cords and probes that just look hideous and bulky.

meegosh said:
You may want to look for one that can be plugged in then, or just stick with a glass one. I liked the Coralife because the probe and cord were black and blended with my black background on my tank.

I've seen some with bright white cords and probes that just look hideous and bulky.

Ah... Ok I'll search online and see if there's anything worth getting.

Back
Top Bottom