Disaster Struck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigTruck6o2

Aquarium Advice Regular
So today i was going to do my routine water change, unplugged the pump and went to turn my 2 ball valves, closed the first one everythings going good. turn the second one and "snap" it was hard to turn and i ended up snapping the return outlet of my main pump, but luckily i got both ball valves closed so i only had about 2-3 gallons leak out. Right now i dont have a filter or pump running but i have about 5 powerheads circulating water and i have the heater in the main right now. Will everything be ok for alittle bit until my new pump arrives and i fix the broken PVC?

I assume the pump that broke was returning water from the sump? What all is not working now? Just skimmer? How heavy was your bioload? You may have to do a extra WC if the skimmer is down. How fast can you have a replacement? Sorry for all the questions.

Yea, the pump was pumping water from my sump so right now my overflows/sump isnt working and my protien skimmer isnt working. I have a blue tang, a yellow tang, 4 chromis and a maroon clown in the tank. It is a 125 gallon tank. And weird enough i ordered a new pump before any of this happened because im in the process of redesigning my sump and adding a fuge. So i should have a pump tomorrow i think if not it may be till monday when shipping continues again. If need be i can put the fish in my brothers 125 Gallon tank that just have about 50lbs of live rock in it. I will just have to acclimate them to his tank which isnt all to bad.

I dont want to say for sure just in case something does happen but I think your tank will be ok for a few days without a skimmer. just keep your
power heads running and keep some fresh water on hand in case you need to do a big water change. I had my 90 gal running for a month before I even hooked the skimmer and sump up.

Just think many people have tanks without skimmers or sumps.

good luck

let us know how it goes

I definitely would not move them to another tank. Just keep a eye on your water parameters to see how the tank does without the skimmer. Have some sw mixed just in case you need to do a WC if water parameters start looking bad. You will probably be fine. How much LR in the tank?

Yea i will, I ordered the acrylic for my new sump refugium today and should have it tomorrow i think so i will make that tomorrow and let it cure then test for leaks. Then i have to run the new PVC for it because im doing it a little differently and i should be good to go. Im hoping to have it back up completly by Monday which means I need to get everything done this weekend. I will do a water change tomorrow just to be safe.

The only thing I'd be concerned about would be oxygen depletion. As long as you're breaking the surface with the powerheads you should be OK. To be safe, you could always throw in a cheap airstone.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom