Disinfecing hospital tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gallon I have two Camallanus infected Mollies in... Once they're better I will move them to my 29 gallon...
How would I go about being sure to disinfect the tank and small gravel rocks properly? I hear bleach, vinegar... Etc...
I want to be sure it will be completely safe for other fish in the future once this nasty nematode has left the premises.

personally, I would just throw away all the rocks and clean the tank out empty. Dealing with diseases is one of the most troublesome things in the aquarium hobby, as you now probably know.
but I have no advice on how to clean the rocks with bleach, sorry.
but you can take this opportunity to use sand or sand blasting if you wanted to change the look of your tank.

The rocks are in my hospital tank... And the plan is to disinfect them and the tank and give it to my 6 yr old son...
What about boiling the rocks?

dont put boiling water into the fish tank as it can crack the glass.
if you want to boil some water in a pot and then turn the burner off and dump the rocks into the pot, that is fine. you can clean the inside of the tank with hot water, just not scalding.

once the fish are healthy and you are able to remove the rocks, you can soak them in bleach with tap water too but it would be best to run them through a strainer in the bathtub before and after if possible.

this is just my opinion, I know rinsing rocks is alot of work.

No I wouldn't put boiling water in the tank :) I may just do the boiling hot water with burner off... And rinsing the tank in hot bath water...

Just wish they'd hurry up and get better so they can go in the 29 gallon with the other 4... They will be so happy..
Hoping they both survive.. They are still very active though, so that's a good sign :)

I would toss the rocks as well. You can wipe your tank down with bleach to disinfect it but make sure you rinse it extremely well with hot water-the residue can stick to the glass & cause future problems! Good luck to your fishes!!!!

Back
Top Bottom