Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2005, 10:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey, i'm not a MH expert either...I stayed with power compacts even on my reef tank. I'll see if another advisor can assist.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
See if there is markings on your ballast. With MH you MUST match the bulb wattage with the ballast wattage. IE a 175W bulb will NOT work in a 250W ballast, etc. Once you can verfy the wattage of the bulb I take it this is a used setup. Do you have any idea how old the bulb is? MH bulbs should be replaced yearly. A quick and dirty on MH bulbs and their K ratings are below.

The higher the K rating the more blue specitrum in the bulb. The lower the number the more yellow the light will look. You might prefer a bulb in the 5000-6700K range. The inital coloration of the bulb will shift after the first 100 or so hours of operation.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:54 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
This is probably WAY more info than you want but its good for you to at the very least skim to get an understnding. While these test photos show a SW tank you can get some idea as to what the different K ratings will produce as far as light output as well as that even different brands with the same K rating can produce different looks.

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Thanks for the website fishfreek

I like the first picutre on the left under the "AB13K: Aqualine Buske 13000K"

*nod*
now to figure out where to get that

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks cool to me. That looks expensive too! I wouldnt replace the bulb you have now with it though. I dont think that 13K bulb would do well for your plants, but I could be wrong. I think the peak wavelengths for photosynthesis to occur differ from plants to coraline algae. Im sure someone here has more experience there. That sure looked nice though....Did you see the pic with the 6700K light?? It was quite yellow compared to the bluer 13k.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Im gunna keep this bulb until it quits working.. cuz it is an expensive bulb

but i will definatly look into changing the lightbulb to a less yellowy light

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:56 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
A 6500k MH bulb is pretty yellow...the lower color temp bulbs are even more yellow in appearance. If you go up to a 10k bulb, you'll have a much whiter light...still very bright. If you get between a 14k and a 20k, you'll have a bluish tint to the lighting. I'm not sure if any of this is what you want though.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:35 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
A little research has indicated that going above a 10k isn't the best option for plants. 10k will give you a nice white light though...some of them have a slightly yellowish appearance, but nothing like the 6700k bulb. If it's too bright, you might try a layer of window screen over the tank to cut the intensity a little.

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com