Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Disposing of PC Bulbs?

Yes, I know that you are NOT supposed to just throw away PC bulbs because they have mercury in them...

Does anyone know where I can recycle them? I live in the Chicago Suburbs, if anyone knows of a local place.

thanks,
~mike

Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

My township said it was ok to throw the used PC bulbs in the garbage. My bulbs are small (length is 12 inches or less) so maybe that's why. They say they do monitor the landfill for mercury. I then asked at Home Depot and Lowe's since they sell the spiral fluorescent bulbs meant to replace incandescents in household lighting. I thought that they would have a recycle bin. Neither of them do. So, I just didn't want to throw my old ones in the garbage. My husband's employer had a "Hazardous Waste Day" where you bring in old paint, pesticides, household chemicals, etc., and that's where he took my old bulbs. You could try calling your garbage or recycling company and see what they suggest.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for caring about the environment!

New York City and its surrounding suburbs all have recycling programs and special procedures for collecting hazardous household waste. I'm sure that the Chicago metro area does too.

I would check with your town or county website. There may be a place to drop off the bulbs.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by An t-iasg
My township said it was ok to throw the used PC bulbs in the garbage. My bulbs are small (length is 12 inches or less) so maybe that's why. They say they do monitor the landfill for mercury. ...
8O

I know you're just repeating what your township told you, but WOW. I guess as long as you "monitor", it's OK to knowingly add mercury to a landfill. I wonder if they let you bury your used oil too?! Glad to hear you went the hazardous waste route. Not sure what they actually do with it though... probably ship it to some unfortunate third-world country.

I take mine to the mobile hazardous waste dump that our county sponsors. That's the only place in my area that will accept them - knowingly. I'm sure the Chicago area has the same type of program.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like to play star wars and have light saber fights! HTH
Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumin
I like to play star wars and have light saber fights! HTH
im sure the airborne mercury you inhale adds to the delusions that you are Luke Skywalker

on a more pertinent note:
the epa has a webpage for locating permanent disposal centers http://www.epa.gov/bulbrecycling/

im sure there are a number of temporary locations that open up for select weekends, but the epa page has the permanent locations.

~mike
Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

That's an excellent link, Mike. Thanks for posting it!

I did go back and forth a bit with my garbage/recycle co. over the phone. It surprised me because this is usually a progressive township, and I see on that webpage that fluorescent lighting has been considered hazardous in PA since 1999. Maybe the bulbs in question there are the large office ones. It does say that the newer bulbs have less mercury and are not considered hazardous waste. Our township has an electronic recycling day once a year (old TVs, stereos, computers, etc.) but for the CFs I'm glad my husband's employer had a harardous drop-off day. I would really rather do something else with the bulbs besides put them in the garbage. We're using a number of those CF spiral bulbs too instead of incandescent lighting now.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a good point, Anne. The newer CF bulbs contain much less mercury than the older ones. I've also noticed that the prices have come down ALOT in the past few years.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I'm Deb Yes, the newer bulbs, the website says, have less mercury and are not considered hazardous waste. That was probably why the lady on the phone asked the size and age. But...I still didn't want to throw them in the garbage if I could help it. Hopefully Home Depot or Lowe's will begin a CF recycling program since they sell those kinds of bulbs now.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL! Sorry Deb, - that's I get for jumping back and forth between here and FR!

Tags
bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com