Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dity Filter???

I have an eheim classic canister filter attatched to my 75gal. I started using activated carbon in it. My question is when I change the filter bag and restart the canister I see this white flakey sh*t coming out of the output. I just started pumping right into the sink for a few seconds and it clears up, but what is that? Is my canister dirty? If so... how do I clean it properly?

jerseybird97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
need to take it apart and clean it in old tank water. clean the sponges really well.

mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Thanx but no.....

Cleaning it will help but there will always be something breaking loose from inside the tubes too. Nice thing about a filter is that it will just suck it back up or settle and wait for you to gravel vac it out.

That's why on my FW I always clean at night.. Then the filter runs all night and by morning it crystal clear again
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cleaning the filter is always good but the stuff coming out is definitely coming from the hoses. Clean and or replace the hoses, they sell brushes just for this purpose. Oh yeah, you best bet is to do it outside of in a slop sink because it can get messy. I did it in my kitchen when my daughter asked me a question (Distracting me) when i was pulling the brush out of the hose and wound up with that slimy crap all over the cabinets.

Sorry, I don't know if you had the hoses on it. Also take the impeller out of the head (Be careful and don't force is because it sits on a ceramic shaft) and clean the orifice it sat in with a brush then do the same with the return hose side then run hot water through the head.
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
I used to see the same thing, until i started cleaning my filter lol... now i take a bucket and when i do a pwc, ill empty maybe a bucket or two of water out through my hoses so that it sucks all the gunk thats built up out in the bucket. I guess the faster water flow allows it to get the stuff out of the little crevases in the hose

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com