Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
DIY Aquarium Lights

I presently use in my 125 gal tank metal halides, 14k 150 watts and compact lights but due to the rising cost of electricity I had in mind building a hood using 6 5000k (that is the highest available) 100 watt daylight screw type twist fluorescent bulbs. The number of watts and the electricity used would be dramatically less than with my present fixture. The problem would be I believe in the color temperature for the corals. I saw in a web site a similar fixture that was built with this type of twist bulbs but were much bigger. Has anyone heard of building or using such a thing.

julmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

Hmm, I agree that probably the color temp of the bulbs being so low wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for the growth or coloration of your corals. But I have no experience with this.

A lot of people are experimenting with high power LEDs right now, those should definately use much less electricity than MHs, but of course the startup costs would be more. Perhaps something you'd be interested to research.

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The 6500k spiral fluorescent bulbs actually have a pretty nice blue color. I use 1 over my sump. Forget about using them tho if you have any corals in your tank. They don't produce anywhere near enough PAR to support corals.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree with Larry that there is just not enough intensity to support corals. Moving this to the General Hardware and equipment discussion forum.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the only thing those bulbs will support is algae. look into some individually reflected T5s. they will save you a little money, and not be crazy expensive initially.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, diy aquarium, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com