DIY Aquarium Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julmaro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I presently use in my 125 gal tank metal halides, 14k 150 watts and compact lights but due to the rising cost of electricity I had in mind building a hood using 6 5000k (that is the highest available) 100 watt daylight screw type twist fluorescent bulbs. The number of watts and the electricity used would be dramatically less than with my present fixture. The problem would be I believe in the color temperature for the corals. I saw in a web site a similar fixture that was built with this type of twist bulbs but were much bigger. Has anyone heard of building or using such a thing. :confused:

Hmm, I agree that probably the color temp of the bulbs being so low wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for the growth or coloration of your corals. But I have no experience with this.

A lot of people are experimenting with high power LEDs right now, those should definately use much less electricity than MHs, but of course the startup costs would be more. Perhaps something you'd be interested to research.

The 6500k spiral fluorescent bulbs actually have a pretty nice blue color. I use 1 over my sump. Forget about using them tho if you have any corals in your tank. They don't produce anywhere near enough PAR to support corals.

I agree with Larry that there is just not enough intensity to support corals. Moving this to the General Hardware and equipment discussion forum.

the only thing those bulbs will support is algae. look into some individually reflected T5s. they will save you a little money, and not be crazy expensive initially.

Back
Top Bottom