DIY Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scott0508

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all looking to build my own DIY tank stand, I have a 5ft long 500 ltr freshwater. Would anyone have any specs on 4x2 horizontal runs and the load they can take, this will be built without centre support due to running a large sump system.

Any help would be great understanding wood/timber loads

That depends on the type of wood. But I'd still go with 4X4's,4X6, for legs. And To go without a center support is a risk. The tank well-bred the support there, just as much as your corners. It's alot of weight and in the future it will probably warp and make the seal of the tank weak in time. Imo

You are talking over a half a ton with water and tank. I'd do some sort of metal brace on the inside of the wood frame. I'd also cross brace with metal. You will be able to get a higher tensile strength with a thin steel than you would a thicker wood. This would save space if you used it as a brace. If you are set on wood I'd go with oak or similar hardwood.

Also I'd brace the corners with a tongue and groove corner joint for extra strength if you go wood.

My 120g sits on 8 2x4s with no center support as does my 180...
Tanks do not need center support in the stand..
All weight goes to the corners tanks don't flex that way IMO..
180 is over 10 years , 120 has 3-4 under its belt....
Here you can see the construction of the 120 stand....
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/another-sump-build-363983.html#post3486133
Lol! I wondered, thought It would work but was alittle Leary of it with a bigger tank. Nice build...

That depends on the type of wood. But I'd still go with 4X4's,4X6, for legs. And To go without a center support is a risk. The tank well-bred the support there, just as much as your corners. It's alot of weight and in the future it will probably warp and make the seal of the tank weak in time. Imo

Angel, if you look at engineering tables you will see that one 2x4 column alone supports over 600lb in compressive load. I remember you built yours from larger sections and I don't oppose using materials one already has on hand (I build a lot of stuff from salvaged wood as well), but in reality there is no need for that whatsoever. Four 2x4s in corners will already support several times the load OP's aquarium will impose, and we usually use 4 or 8.
As Tom mentioned no center support is really required. The only reason I have a center column under my 125g is for placement of doors.

ADD:
Single 4x4 column of southern pine will support over 7000 lbs. I'd say your stand is overbuilt by orders of magnitude, will support a story of stacked 75gal tanks if not more, lol :)

I learned and came to trust the no center support when angle iron stands were popular..
I had a 6' 100g on an angel iron stand with no center support and I could slide 2 quarters under the tanks in between the iron in the middle !!:eek:
On my most recent 75g on angle iron stand I could only fit 1 quarter as it was only 4' long and deflected less...
The 180 has 2x4s all the way on each end as it did not take a lot of wood with less then 2' high space in cabinet. The concern for total weight should not be overlooked .
The 120 only has a board across back to keep the stand from 'wracking' and does not even have the trim the other side do. I see light between the tank and center of stand ,but not much..
The front, back glass panels being adhered to the bottom is where a great amount of the strength comes from. I am sure with the front back being attached the amount of weight just the bottom cam support is decreased severely..

Angel, if you look at engineering tables you will see that one 2x4 column alone supports over 600lb in compressive load. I remember you built yours from larger sections and I don't oppose using materials one already has on hand (I build a lot of stuff from salvaged wood as well), but in reality there is no need for that whatsoever. Four 2x4s in corners will already support several times the load OP's aquarium will impose, and we usually use 4 or 8.
As Tom mentioned no center support is really required. The only reason I have a center column under my 125g is for placement of doors.

ADD:
Single 4x4 column of southern pine will support over 7000 lbs. I'd say your stand is overbuilt by orders of magnitude, will support a story of stacked 75gal tanks if not more, lol :)
Lol! [emoji23] I know. It was my first tank and wanted to build the stand as strong as I could, along with the beauty of Florida cedar look. It diffently ain't going no where. But if I every wanted to upgrade my tank size and sell it all, think I'd make the money off it. Came out pretty nice.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the advice, just got to get stuck in now and start the build

Watched my buddies 200g bust out the center support on his tank stand and watched it flex the tank. Lol. It lasted a long time though before it happened.

Watched my buddies 200g bust out the center support on his tank stand and watched it flex the tank. Lol. It lasted a long time though before it happened.
It's all how it's built. If you can build a house out of wood and have it hold a heavy roof. And stand up to the weather. Its basically the same thing in my eyes. If you build it strong it will last you a life time. There's still alot of old houses from back in the day standing today, and stronger than most that are built in our time. Just say'n. Yeah, a 2X4 can hold some weight. But you try to put a big nail through a old oak or walnut 2X4 from back in the day compared to the pine 2X4's we all use today see what nail goes in faster, if at all without drilling first. And see what one splits. I love old school. Everything was built to last.

That's why I say oak wood for big tanks. Wood gets old and deteriorates especially if you have any bit of condensation or humidity inside an enclosed stand.

Pine wood that is properly finished for our intended environment will not deteriorate in our lifetime (we are not talking about outside structures that go against the elements I hope). If you would like your stand to be all oak , sure thing, I don't mind at the least, I'm planning on making garden furniture out of pallet timbers I'm stashing up(not your usual pallets : ) ), now that will be an "overbuilt". But I would not say it is a requirement, unless you have a good source of salvaged materials oak is quite costly, apropriately sized load pine will do the work just as well.
If I ever to move up to a 8footer tank I'm dreaming about, that stand will be built out if 3/4 sandwich ply (finished to withstand the wet).

It is not a secret the fast growing pine variety we have at our disposal today is less dense then the one used 100years ago. We do have a good idea though what loads it will withstand and plan accordingly.

I would call that a caulk failure. I would agree the lack of support help to shorten the life..
I know Deep Blues have a tag on them saying [and I'll quote from my new 60g frag tank] " use of any wrought iron stands voids all warranty."
I have 2 of the 60g [4x2] that are on 2x4 'stretchers' in the front and back ,but still honestly think all wait goes to corners..
IMO deep blues void is a statement to knowledge of poor quality caulk..They have been the most notorious leakers on the market in last 5 years..Maybe longer...
I will add my 4x2 120[Aqueon] I am almost certain has 2 pieces of glass laminated on bottom..It was easy to see with the 4 holes drilled..
This is my favorite video of how much a corner supported tank can hold for weight..This is a great video..
https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A2KLf...wEiTyYcs/RK=0/RS=XbrB35MFN6LwfsBeVjoWSKiHQac-

Pine wood that is properly finished for our intended environment will not deteriorate in our lifetime (we are not talking about outside structures that go against the elements I hope). If you would like your stand to be all oak , sure thing, I don't mind at the least, I'm planning on making garden furniture out of pallet timbers I'm stashing up(not your usual pallets : ) ), now that will be an "overbuilt". But I would not say it is a requirement, unless you have a good source of salvaged materials oak is quite costly, apropriately sized load pine will do the work just as well.
If I ever to move up to a 8footer tank I'm dreaming about, that stand will be built out if 3/4 sandwich ply (finished to withstand the wet).

It is not a secret the fast growing pine variety we have at our disposal today is less dense then the one used 100years ago. We do have a good idea though what loads it will withstand and plan accordingly.
We're not saying pine will not work. I was just stating a point. Everybody builds things differently. Myself, I'd just rather over build than say"oh, that will work", with an under built. and not saying it will be outside. It was to state the obvious of water changes, leaks, drips, if the wood is not sealer"treated". That's all.

Back
Top Bottom