DIY or buy an auto top off valve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Duke 8705

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well guys and gals, the title pretty much says it all, I am looking to get an auto top off valve with a pump. My tank is up pretty high and I don't have a good spot to drill thru the wall, so I can't see using a gravity feed valve. I don't have a sump or I could put a Gravity in there, so I was planning on putting it in the corner of my tank that is in the corner of the room. Could I please get some opinions? what brand, best way to make one, do I need one (pretty sure I do), any help will be gratefully appreciated!
:thanks:

Does anyone have one that they could give a review on? or suggest something that you do/or would have done differently?

I have been looking at this in the past week, and although I don't think I am going to bother, the Tunze Osmolator replacement pump is about the only one around with decent lift short of and expensive dosing pump. Float switches are common on ebay and elsewhere. So a little power supply, and perhaps a relay maybe required, and you'd be good to go.

AutoTopoff.com

I am using a double switch sump mount on my setup, with an aqualifter. It seems to work great.

They ship quickly - I think I had it about 3 days after I ordered it.

well I got my JBJ ATO in the mail yesterday. I plugged it into my pump that's in a 5 gal bucket under my tank. Tested it to make sure the water level is where I want it and looks good. now a week or so to test it out. I plan on getting a bigger pump and hook it up in the basement for a bigger container. plus it will keep some of the clutter away from the tank.

well I got my JBJ ATO in the mail yesterday. I plugged it into my pump that's in a 5 gal bucket under my tank. Tested it to make sure the water level is where I want it and looks good. now a week or so to test it out. I plan on getting a bigger pump and hook it up in the basement for a bigger container. plus it will keep some of the clutter away from the tank.

I just hooked mine up today, so far it was super easy to set up ( i'm not the most technical person..) and seems to be working great. I'd definatly recommend it! :)

I purchased my JBJ ATO so I could sleep better at night. The guy at my LFS was trying to save me from buying the $120 piece by telling me how to build my own ATO. It involved splicing extension cords and "jimmy-rigging" pumps and floats for about $40. I'm not a fan of messing with electrical wires more intense than speaker wire (due to some past bad experiences).

If you have confidence in your own electrical work, want to save money, and can follow directions on YouTube and other threads on here, then DIY. Otherwise, spend the extra $80 and sleep soundly, like I do.

There is a DIY kit that Bulk Reef Supply sells which I bought and works fine BUT you have to sacrifice an extension cord and it requires two outlets (one for the ATO and one for the extension cord which you plug your pump into). If I had to do it over, I'd buy the double switch one from autotopoff.com.

well I just got a smaller pump in yesterday, its an Aquarium Systems Mini-Jet 606. It's smaller then the one I am currently using but has adjustable flow, so I can fine tune it a little bit. Rather then the current one just dumping the fw in.

Back
Top Bottom